New kid on the block

Started by wfopete, May 31, 2004, 09:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

POG Guys:

I'm a soon to be member of the POG. I'm currently stationed in Iraq until sometime next year, and my membership is on the way. I just finished reading " John Penton and the Off-Road Motorcycle Revolution"; a great book. I hope to find a clean example of a Penton and be able to attend some of the great events that are out there. One of my first exposures to the Penton brand was when I started racing in Michigan. I entered my first enduro back in 1979: The Jackpine 400.  It was a 2-day National event and I quickly learned why lightweight 2 strokes were the bikes of choice, as opposed to my XR 500 Honda. My memories of those Pentons were two-fold: While waiting for the start, the Pentons appeared to be somewhat cobby looking bikes that smoked, drooled and whose engines emitted noisy mechanical sounds.  But once key time came up and the bikes were on underway the engine quickly cleaned out, the engine noise turned into a mild whirring sound and the machine was transformed into a woods weapon.  Soon after that first Jackpine I traded my XR in for a KDX 175.  

Tired of Michigan winters, I moved to Arkansas in the 1990 and was by now a big vintage bike fan. I acquired a '74 YZ 250 Yamaha and campaigned it in many AHRMA events. Although the bike was great in an MX environment, but once in the woods of Arkansas and Missouri it's shortcomings became apparent.  When I saw the 1999 ISDT Reunion Ride in Arkansas I thought: What would bring an event like this to Arkansas? Little did I realize the company I was keeping at this event.  Although some of names were familiar, I wondered who was this Leroy Winters fellow that had just recently passed on and everyone was mourning the lost of.  Well, to say the least that weekend's events, to include the banquet on Saturday night, was an education in ISDT history and the company I was keeping. Since then I've attended more reunions, each a great time. Hope to have a Penton by the time I get back to the states and get back in to the fun! Thanks, Pete.

'01 KTM EXC 520, '74 YZ 250, '86 Honda XR 250, '71 Hodaka 100, '74 SUZUKI TM 400
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

DKWRACER

WFOPETE, welcome to the POG website!!!! and your intro post is way cool. This group is especially dedicated and very friendly and knowledgeable. It's nice to have a new member who is a racing enthusiast, many of us are....God speed back stateside to hunt for your Penton......

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

tmc3c

Welcome WFOPETE, Thank you for the job you are doing in Iraq ! Our prayers are with you !! Come home safe and sound and get back to racing!! and Welcome to POG also!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Doug Wilford

Pete;
Welcome to the POG website.   Thomas said it as good as I can.   All of us civilians and veterans support the great job you and your buddies are doing over there.   I will be looking for your POG membership when you get home and settled in.
Sincerely,
Doug Wilford
Treasurer and Membership Chairman Penton Owners Group

tomale

Pete, I wish to add my name to the others who have extended well wishs for what you are doing. We will be praying that your return is swift and safe.
If you will be back before this fall I am planning the to be at the Reunion ride, hopefully you will be there and if so I will look forward to meeting you, Take care my friend. keep us posted
Thom

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W