Lift Off

Started by tmc3c, June 03, 2004, 09:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Yes It's finally fixed! The carb problem has been resolved, thanks to a fellow pogger!! What can you say to a man who sends you three carbs and tells you to use what you need to get your bike running!! Words cannot come close to THANKING this man for his kindness!! I am going riding in the morning, the first ride in 10yrs!!  Now I wonder how I can talk the wife into another project bike.........Thank you to ALL of the poggers who helped me with this baby !! I got all of your names and I will be seeing you at Mid-Ohio!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  Congratulations on the completion of your bike.  I believe you have been at it for over a year.  I think some people would have given up on it a long time ago.
  Your bike is not only beautiful (from the pictures you sent me), but you had people like Kip and Rocket (Rod) to thank for some of the nicest work to be had anywhere by anyone period.  I am going to say the POG people had a lot of answeres for you on various other problems, and it is great to have the wealth of information in one location.
  Thanks Thomas for not giving up and going through with a dream bike that will also be ridden.  Actually you may be loading up the bike as I write this.  Great Job.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

TC,  
I can see you from the coast!!!![8D] That bright orange flame flying down the driveway, windows shakin' at your neighbors' houses.[:0] Your wife yelling at you to stop tearing up the driveway![}:)] Man, it must be a glorious day in the upstate. Just try to control yourself, breathe deeply. And when you touch back down, don't forget to wipe all the dirt off of it.;)Congratulations, you deserve it.

I hope to get the next launch from the Palmetto State.:)
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

tmc3c

Just Got in from riding and after it being at least 10yrs ago that I have ridden I had forgotten what a BLAST it was !!!!![8D]But it didn,t start off to good,after unloading and suiting up in at least 90deg. heat I went over to crank it and the baby wouldn't run right and a guy was unloading next to me restores Bultacos and he asked me if I had a vented gas cap and I said no and he said his Bulls need the vent to flow the gas,so after unsuiting and loading back up I started looking at things and the bike would run for a while and cut off so I took the gas cap off and EUREKA !! So I took the cork gasket off and cut about 1/4 out of it and off I went.The Penton was AWESOME!!! but I did blow a front right fork seal and I chipped some of the fiberglass off the right sidepanel.YEAH I got a smile a mile wide!! AWESOME is all I can say!!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Tennessee Vol

Thomas,
 Let us know how you feel when you get out of bed tommorrow?[:0] Ha!
Congrats on the bike,glad you are back riding.You will be ready for a national enduro soon.

Bobby Joe Stults
Bobby Stults

DKWRACER

Chipped some of the fiberglass from that beauty I sent Ya, bummer, but hey, it's a dirt bike, BEST OF LUCK AT YOU FIRST RACE!!!! Tom......
Thomas Brosius

tmc3c

Thanks Guys !! Sore tomorrow????How about today?[^]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

Thomas, boy it sure would be nice to disect that defective carburetor, Id like to inspect the molecular structure for stuctual integrity, or...   [8D]wheres the crack in the body located[?]
 bring it to vmd if your going, maybe theres a lesson to be learned here. bringg bringg now
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Hey Raymond, After letting the bike run for a while and then having it die I started watching the fuel filter and could see the gas flow almost stop and when I took the gas cap off it ran great! So I cut a 1/4" out of the cork gasket and rode a section in the woods like the bike was brand new !!"which it is" so I have talked to several people and it has been brought to my attention that the cap could be bad and I should soak it in muratic acid with a 4 to 1 mixture, Or replace the cap.I got to belive that this is the problem now. The carb did have problems also and after a GREAT friend helped me out with sending me three carbs to fix my problem I rode the bike down the street and it came to life,the problem was I didn't ride it long enough to find this other problem.The bike ran SOOO GOOD the other day but I had to slow down to wipe the gas off the tank before it got onto to me because there wasn't any lakes or ponds to jump in if it got you know where!!! Thank You for Advice and I will keep you posted on the outcome!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Way to go Thomas, I remember the first time I got back on a race track I was smilling so big my jaw hurt for the next few days.
What exactly was the problem with the Carb? Was it a worn out slide, or a cracked carb body? maybe a worn out needle jet? Or did you answer that and I missed it?

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rain Man

wow a gravity thing, that brings back some of that, err what dey called it  "De Ja Vu"  thats too funny, A defective Gas cap, glad your problems resolved, and your riding the bike down the street, Is that legal where your at. It must be legal here in Maine, an Elsinor just went buy WFO@    ohh those jap things don't roll that well  maybe 37mph best...killing the black flies I hope
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Hey Thom,The slide was shot,and while I was at it I replaced the floats and all of the jets back to what Kent Knudson runs in their bikes. I haven't been able to run it hard yet with it being a "New Engine" but soon I will be able to see if I went the right way on the jetting.My cylinder is off a 80 something or the other,I can't find out out what year,and it is a reed valve cylinder and I am running Boyesen dual stage reeds. The carb was set up real rich and when my dear friend from Texas sent me the carbs and told me to use what I needed I set it up this way. Are you planning on racing in Mid-Ohio ? Do you know if they will let me race with this type of cylinder on my 74 motor? also do I got to get rid of my yellow plates and go with the YUCKY white plates? Think I can get by with paper plates? I am planning on running just this one AHRMA event seeing how none come to the south. Thanks for asking Thom ! I hope I didn't ask to many questions back to you !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Thanks Tom,
It is not looking good for mid-ohio, money is always an issue. Not to worry about too many questions. Thanks for the low down on the carb problem, It had me puzzled. I am planning the ISDT RR in October though. It looks like there are going to be several guys that are going to make the trip, Bigmac and I are pretty much a for sure.  I have never raced a Ahrma event so I can not tell you what they will allow or not. To me the events are way to regulated and are way to far  apart to be all that appealing to me. I may do one here or there but not interested traveling that much. Will you be trying to do the Reunion Ride?
Take care,

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Hey Thom, I don't have any lights on my bike and I think the RR ride will be even further away from S.C.Right??

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Hey Tom, I don't have lights for my bike either but we are looking at adding them for the ride. And S.C. has got to be alot closer than Seattle WA. up here in the great NorthWest.
I was over at my Terry's  house last night and we did a quick check of what he needs to complete his harescrambler and he is all most there. He should have it ready in plenty of time to go with us for the RR. He picked up a TY250 It was pretty much complete. The carb was really dirty. amd the petcock has seen better days but we managed to get it to work. It will need to be rebuilt. We cleaned everything up and put it back together. It started on the first kick but would not clean up and I had to keep the throttle wide open just to keep it running. On closer inspection I had left the pilot jet out. hmmm no wonder it does not run right. I took the carb off and put the pilot in again and tah dah it runs and runs good. we played for awile before I left for home. A good deal and it only took only a couple of hours to put it back in running condition.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W