what spark plug to run

Started by tomale, May 28, 2004, 01:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I read the post on what NGK to run and I have been thinking what plug you guys run in your bikes. I have been using NGK's and have good luck with them and they seem to be easy to find and modest in price. Do any of you guys use a different plug and if so why. I am not having a problem but I guess I am just curious. The post on the two stroke oil was very interesting and I learned alot. This is another area that I know very little about. all I know is that I do not know. In the early 70's on the bultaco's we used to use champions and they seemed to fail with regularity but upon further reflection it could have been because we ran our oir at 20:1 or it could have been a result of the Amal carbs. I was not exactly to big on turning wrenches back then and just wanted to ride every chance I got. If it ran we rode and it it would not we did what ever we could to make it run and that was it. Not too good of an idea but then I was alot younger then, and no one looking over my shoulder to make sure that  I kept my bikes up.Thanks in advance. you guys rock.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Mike Lenz

If I cant find any of the old Bosch silver tip plugs that came in the bikes back then I have had better luck with NGK B9HVX plugs than the B9HS plugs which foul easier. However in my book NGK still stands for No Good Kind .

OUCWBOY

I have found that the Bosch Super W3AC works great. Much better than the NGK. I had the parts store order them for me. Also available at most VW stores.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tomale

Thanks mike and Donnie, as it turns out there is a VW shop only a mile or two from my house. I will give them a try thanks

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

wildman

Back years ago when I had a 250 MC5, I found for some reason Champion plugs just worked better. I normally ran NGKs in everything (still do) but I think the Champion was like 1/2 heat range hotter and wouldn't foul out.The numbers L-78 or L-82 come to mind, but don't quote me on that! The point is, don't be afraid to try something different, just be sure to keep an eye on plug color. I actually run 1 heat range hotter with a projected tip in my modern dirt bike. My own personal opinion is standard type electrode plugs work as well or better than the expensive platinum jobs but your mileage may vary, as they say. Hope this helps. Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Lloyd Boland

Thom, I've been using the standard B8HS for racing.  I put a new plug in before each race.  Considering the money spent for entry, transprotation, etc., it just isn't worth using an old plug, even if there isn't any sign of fouling.  So far the plugs have worked well with good color and no problem starting or running.

tomale

I have never really had any problems with the NGK's but I do not like the color of the plug when I pull it. I run it wide open and then shut it down and check the plug.... The last time I did this it was pretty gray in color. Maybe it has something to do with running Belray at 50:1 not sure but when I was running golden spectro I got more of a nice brown color. If there is something  better to run then .... Thanks for everyones help

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W