I.D. news

Started by TGTech, June 08, 2004, 11:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

I have been communicating with one of the long time KTM employees regarding information about the history of the Pentons, and I got some news, that even I didn't know.

I contacted him in regards to the frame numbering issue, and he came back to me with "the plan" that Mr. Trunkenpolz dreamed up, to identify the frame numbers, prior to the adoption of the international VIN numbering scheme. That was, OK, sort of old news, but when I asked him about the "V" numbered frames, he came back with the information, that the "V" stands for "Versuch", or basically, prototype. So all of the V numbered frames, were considered as prototype frames, I guess.

Further, Franz is speaking to the fellow, who was John's English speaking contact at KTM when the whole Penton thing began, to see if he has notes or figures on how many total Penton's were produced. He said that he'd get back to me on that later.

I asked Franz about the total number of "Penton" motorcycles produced, not just those shipped to the U.S., but also those shipped to their other sales outlets, prior to the KTM name being used as the feature name.

In the process of answering that question, Franz told me about some early graphics that KTM used on the Penton machines. In the beginning, the bikes had just the Penton name on the badge, but later, the bikes that were going to places other than the U.S., also had a blue and white KTM oval on them. You say that you knew that? How about the fact that J.P. wanted the Penton name on the sides of the engines? Oh, you knew that too because of the Sachs engines that had the Penton name plates stuck on the place where the Sachs name had been chiseled of the covers. Well how about the fact that the first sand cast cases made for the 175 engine, had Penton cast into the sides of them? I have never seen these cases, but it sure would be neat to get hold of a set. If they even still existed.

I'm going to try to find out if there were pictures of these engines or cases, and then try to get my hands on some.

Franz and Kalman may be a huge source of knowledge for the Club, so I'm going to try to keep picking their brains for all I can learn.

Dane Leimbach

firstturn

Dane,
  As always I thank you for your input.  I had always wondered about the "V" frame number in that there was only space for four digits after the V.  Makes sense if they were building these as prototypes that actually took off with good sales.
  On to the KTM/Penton logo on the side of the 175.  I have never ever heard of this expressed anywhere in my reading or from any of my friends from Europe.  Please keep us informed.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Dane,  Thanks for the great info.  Will see you at Mid Ohio so be thinking about what you wish for me to do with your two Sachs engines;)

DKWRACER

"Anni"
79,80 and 81 bring an evolution to the change of the MC5...
these years and their history are a mystery to me...

-What riders campained on these fine MC's?
How did they become MC80 (quioned a phrase)
Not only did the frame changed, the motor did also (541)
The suspension followed suite, and finally to single shock..
The displacements too are a question, from a 390 to 420
The chassis parts also made a change, via la ve (typo) GS vs MC
It's a piece of historical change that maybe not too many people know about...but it remains an evolution of JP's dream? What really happened, I own two......
Thomas Brosius

LynnCamp

Dane,
That is VERY exciting news -- discovering something new that is as significant as cases with Penton stamped on them...  

When I was at the annual meeting and listened to Kent Knudson's super presentation on identifying bikes, I thought that we should send someone over to KTM to look over and copy any physical records of what came off the line in the Penton era.  The idea that you actually are able to talk with some people that might have some first hand knowledge is fantastic!  Regarding the factory records, at the time of the annual meeting, one of the Penton boys (guess they are not boys anymore....) was over at the factory.  So, I wondered why – on one of their trips -- they don't try to find out what KTM has in the way of records – that we could get copies.....  Either that, or we need to send you and Kent over....

The other beautiful thing about Kent's presentation was how you were able to jump in and fill in some of the gaps from the perspective of how you all dinked with the bikes once they got to Ohio.  You guys had way too much fun!