VDO SPEEDO MOUNT

Started by Rain Man, June 16, 2004, 04:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

Does anyone know where I can find one of theses?  I'm looking for the type that clamps on to the cross bar of the handlebars.  If not, any cool looking mounting ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Kip Kern

Raymond, Watch evilbay, they appear there once in awhile.  Karl S is supposed to be reproducing the early "L" bracket style that clamped on the steering stem via rubber grommet and radiator hose clamp.  Contact Al B for inquiries.

Rain Man

Thanks Kip, the mount you mentioned, how well do they stay together? I remeber replacing that rubber mount years ago, but forgot how effective they were. I've seen a grand total of one on the bay since November, looks like a broken or lost disposition is prominent with cross bar style mounts.
 Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Kip Kern

Raymond,  I used one similar (home made) at the ISDTRR in Dalton and it worked great.  The trick is that if your speedo drive is from the Sachs countershaft, keep the VDO close to the steering stem so it doesn't eat up the speedometer cable from bar rotation.  If the drive is on the front wheel, the VDO can be about anywhere on the bars.  Karl, are you out there[?] Help Mr. Wizard;)

firstturn

Kip,
  Thanks for the heads up on keeping the speedo cable close to the steering head.  I was looking at a set up that I had to mount and I was trying to remember the problem that was inherit on this style of mount.  These old little problems don't flare up until you actually ride the bike then one says "oh I remember why did it this way", by then it has normally has done some damage......Good advice.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh