DRILLING HOLES

Started by Rain Man, July 05, 2004, 04:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

I've seen this on many an ole relic bike and was curious if it really does work. My 400 lost all the header bolts yesterday and was making more noise than power.  I drilled out some SHCS 6mmx20mm with a 1/16" drill and baled wire the 4 together, hoping that they won't back out, again, consequently ruining my Sunday assult on the trail system. My question is have  any of you tried this and what kind of results did you get?  happy trails

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tlanders

I have had this happen only once and it was on my MC 80 - 400 this spring. I used locktite and it hasn't happened again.

Teddy

Rocket

Rain Man
The safety wire is a good thing to do.  I would shy away from loctiting anything that goes into aluminum or magnesium.  If you don't heat the area before loosening the bolt, you have a good chance of removing the threads from the alloy when you remove the bolt.
Just my opinion.
Rocket

firstturn

Raymond,
  The safety wire is what I use and the drill jig can be purchased through Eastwood company or any aircraft parts company.  Really makes the job a lot easier.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

cardojr

Another option on headpipe nuts ( providing your studs are long enough) is to set a spring between the nut & manifold, using a honda type nut with the flange at the bottom-this was the stock set up for the montesa cappras in the late 70's (also seen at the exhaust manifold on the family tempo). The spring also acts as a heat sink, drawing heat away from the end of the stud.  I still would put a blob of hi temp monkey snot at the end of the stud or loctite the nut
rob

Rain Man

Interesting concepts thanks to all. I've heard of safety wire Ron, and I don't know if there's a difference between safety and baling wire[?]. I agree with you rocket. mixing locktight with heat,magnesium and steel bolts, when and if they do loosen up, more than likely destroy the threads in the head.:(  I never liked inserts, nut serts or whatever certs, they seem to eventually come unglued too!
  I think Robs idea is  the best. It may take a little more time finding the right materials and making them fit, but in the end ,I think you would have a better permanent repair.  Time will tell, I'm still open for suggestions.
Raymond

Raymond
Limington Me.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons