Six Day ST year?

Started by baxtermcc, July 20, 2004, 09:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxtermcc

I have a 197? steel tank that I am restoring for the ISDTRR in October.  I have read the information here describing the differences between the 1970 and 1971 but I'm not sure I'm looking in the correct places.  I believe this bike is a 1971 but I'm hoping some (many) of you can set me straight.  Pictures can be found at http://users.zoominternet.net/~baxter/penton

All I've done with the bike since I purchased it was to put a 1st over piston in it.  I just pulled the motor tonight to begin getting is ready for October.  I should have it down to the frame by Thursday.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Bob McCullough

rob w

Hi Bob,
 Welcome, good to hear from you. Your bike is considered a 1970 model. The main difference between the two ('70 &'71) and the way I identify and distinguish the two is this-
 Referring to picture # 31, (also on #7 or 8) right where your frame has broken and been rewelded, just below the air cleaner mounting brackets, where the rear motor mount box meets the rear down tube.
 At that juncture the 1971 models have triangular gussets on each side, strengthening that area where yours has fractured.
 Other that that they're almost identical from what I know.
Hope this helps, I'll be down there riding the ISDTRR in October as well, will see you then.
 Nice display of pictures, it really helps to see these things, I'd like to know how it's done sometime. Keep us updated on your project.
Bob.