clutch help

Started by bildough, July 22, 2004, 07:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bildough

have a 72 six day. the clutch is so hard to pull in it nearly takes 2 hands. Any ideas on troubleshooting this issue sure would be appreciated.

Doug Wilford

First is how long has this bike been setting?  Second does the clutch release after you get it pulled in?     In most cases you will have to pull the left side cover and you will see the cam type actuator.  If this is free then you will have to disassemble the clutch assy. and make sure to unstick the clutch plates, clean and oil.    You will need to remove the inner drive gear from the motor to use as a pilot tool to realign the clutch disks when you reassemble the clutch assy.   The nut inside the clutch drive gear is 15/16 s   you will also have a three piece bearing that can be removed with two small magnets.   Please pay strick attention in the disassembly as to the location and position of all the shims and washers.

bildough

sounds complicated; but I appreciate all your input . I am confident that if there is a way to screw it up worse i am just the man.

bildough

yes clutch releases after you pull it in just fine. Its just so hard to pull it in. adjusting the cable doesnt make much difference. I was thinking that maybe it is a bad cable. how would i test the quality of the cable without taking it all apart if that is possible.

Steve Minor

My 77 400 had a hard clutch pull until I re-routed the cable. I widened the radii of the bends and now it's a 2 finger clutch......well almost.

Also, it's amazing what a squirt of lube will do!

1977 400 GS6 Original Owner
1977 125 GS6 Project
1978 400 MC5 Project
Steve Minor

sdm

bildough
Mind had a similar issue when I got it and it was just a matter
of adjusting the clutch and lubricating the cable. I have one of
those things that clamps on to the cable itself and allows you to use
a pressurized lubricant to lube and flush the cable and housing.
They may have them at the shop it town there.
 If the ends of the cable aren't frayed then it is probably
just needing some lube. Also I have an old manual on the Sachs engine
if you need any info. on how to adjust the clutch from the engine
case end if it needs it.

Good luck and you can email me
Sam

bildough

i have ordered a new cable from Terry cable. lubing the cable and rerouting it was a help also. thank you for all your input.