Highest Steel Tank Frame number recorded

Started by rob w, August 07, 2004, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Howdy all,
I would like to know, what is the highest frame number recorded, or known about, off of a '71 Steel Tank Penton (V xxxx)

That's not covered in our new "frame numbers recorded" section.

Yesterday in a new Michigan KTM shop I found a '71 Steel-tanker # V 5533, that seemed like a pretty high number compared to most of them I've seen. Then it dawned on me...I wonder how high they went and (how many were made) before the CMF model was introduced.

The guy in the shop told me, "don't even think about trying to buy it, it's not for sale". Then I asked him how much he thought it was worth, and he said "around $7000". Believe me...it was'nt. But it is super cool that these bikes are now showing up on display in "KTM" dealers around the country. For the P.F.P. maybe we ought to get a old Penton in every new KTM shop. :)

Thanks alot,
Bob

3putt

Bob, I've got a frame V-5712, but not much else.  Still have not given up hope on it yet.   Nelson McCullough

wnm

Kip Kern

I have V6683, Green/Chrome tank 125cc[8D]

rob w

There's a sixty-six hundred....do I hear 7 ?

Alright, thanks guys. I'm just a sponge for Penton stats, info, and lore.
Nelson, nope...never give up. There's always parts available somewhere. I know, if you're like me, the biggest battle is finding the time to perform the restoration.
 I've been wearing my '04 ISDTRR T-shirt I got from Dave. I think it's great the Tulsa Trail Riders were able to purchase all that land.

Bob

baxtermcc

This is bike can't beat V5712 or V6683, it is V5428 and is a very nice example of the type.  The bike was being ridden around VMD on Saturday when a few of the POGer's stopped him.  I took these pictues for reference on a ST restorations my brother and I are currently working on.  The plan is have my bike, V4242, and Dave's V3010, entered in the ISDTRR in October.

firstturn

Baxter,
  Seventh picture down.  Nice picture of  Richard Sanders, who was at one time the largest Penton dealer in the USA, inspecting the bike.  Great pictures.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh