UPPER SHOCK MOUNTS ON 74 /250

Started by weflyu, August 25, 2004, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weflyu

While mounting my restored 14" Curnett shocks on my early 74 project bike i noticed that there appears to be 2 sets of holes to mount the upper shocks to. The front mount is in the corner of the frame next to the upper rear of the airbox. The second mount is farther to the rear past the seat bracket attachement holes. both holes are reinforced and appear to be the same size. My late 74/ 250 has only one upper hole for the shocks by the seat bracket, the second is at the mid point of the frame rail next to the airbox. I know that this is for the lay down shock position.  What I need to know is what is the difference between using the forward or aft upper position. My 250 my manual only shows the late 74 mounts with the laydown positions and single upper hole. I checked photos of older bikes and found that only the 250 appears to have these 2 upper positions. The 125 and 175 seem to mount the shock in the forward position but that is the only hole those bikes have for the upper shock. I have seen pictures 250's with shocks mounted in either hole and am leaning towards using the rear hole to mount the shock. Any advice or info would be welcomed.

Mark Smith

250 (2)
175 (2)

Mike Lenz

Wow, thats a new one on me. I have a 73 and pre laydown 74 250 and they only have one hole behind the seat mount holes??

firstturn

Mark,
  What is the layout of mounting positions on the swingarm?  I think I am picturing you have the forward top mount in the cradle of the frame for the real laydown and the other for what a lot of people used for enduro.  If you want to send me a picture I will try to help our West Coast Pilot.

[email protected]

I hope this doesn't further confuse the issue[B)].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh