Front Brake Swaps

Started by vmx1963, August 29, 2004, 05:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

G'day all.  I've seen a few examples in the mags of KTM/Pentons fitted with Yamaha front brake hubs.  Has anyone here done such a conversion to the pre-75 models?  And if so, how does the Yamie backing plate anchor to the fork legs?

VMX1963
Western Australia
//www.vmxktm.net

firstturn

VMX1963,
  I don't remember how the backing plates were secure, but we had both Yamamha and Elsinore brakes on the 100/125 Pentons.  I don't think I have any pictures of this modification either.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

James

I remember this even though  I was child when these mods were popular.
Ok I actually saw it recently. Typically a brake stays would be fashioned on the bottom to grip the hub where the stock forks did and the other end drilled to bolt to your cerianis. My neigbor had to do this about 7 on his cr250 when he put on some Betor leading axle forks-after we "laid down" the shocks. I actually think the stay came with the forks at the time.  James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Mike Lenz

I've got to ask why? These brakes will skid the tire on pavement when set up right. FYI,If you have to have a conical hub the 79-82 KTM  will bolt right on.

James

Mike I agree. My Penton brake worked great after I sanded the shoes, checking afterward to sand the shiny spots, again..seems it was a few rides before I had it right, but these were all used parts. I had a budget then of almost nothing so I had to make the most of it. Anew cable never hurt either.
 I remember wanting to put the later (conical) hub on but fearing it would not be legal as it comes from a 78 up. The Yamaha hub is from the era, though i am not sure how much of an advantage either would represent.
 James

You dont stop racing because you get old..you get old because you have children
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

vmx1963

Thanks Mike, I must learn the secret art of KTM brake-trickery to increase my "whoa nelly" command.  I fully expect my wife to walk into the shed and find me kneeling before the front wheel, head bowed and hands clasped (around the brake shoe and sandpaper).  "Please Dear Lord, help me stop before the track ends..."

It is surprising just how much faster you can get around a corner and still not crash when you've no brakes - that's one of the best things about KTM handling.  My seat, however, does tend to have more 'rectal bite marks' Is that why KTM seats are so narrow - gives your butt cheeks something to hang onto? [:0]

VMX1963
Western Australia
//www.vmxktm.net

Mike Lenz

No one should give you a problem with the later KTM conical wheel because its exactly the same brake inside as the full width wheels. Everbody, make sure you are centering the backing plate in the wheel before you finish tightening the wheel and brake stay arm by rubberbanding your brake lever tightly to the bars. this and GOOD brake shoes will make it work like a charm. If anyone has the old HiPoint Forma brake shoes throw them away and then start over. I havent tried any of the new brake shoes out there, am using all OEM shoes and as I said I can lock it up whenever I want on the road, two or three fingers to lock up in the dirt. Used shoes in a different hub will take a couple/few races to seat and work well, even with some sanding high spots. The softer the brake lining material the better. You can tell by trying to scratch the lining with a screwdriver. The old OEM linings with the light gray material work the best, but all OEM shoes work pretty well Ive found.

tlanders

I have been using Ferodo shoes as recommended by Kent Knudson. I get them from Barry Higgins, H&H KTM.

Teddy