Wassel restoration parts available?

Started by bobrammer, September 03, 2004, 05:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrammer

I had a Penton trials bike many winters ago when I was young.  I'm now much older and would like to get one and restore it for old times sake and to ride.  Are these bikes available and can you get the necessary parts / stickers etc. to restore them?  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.  Thanks!:D

Larry Perkins

Most of the parts are available through Donnie or Al but a few things are hard to come by.  There is a very complete one on eBay at the moment.  Best of luck.
Larry

firstturn

bobrammer,
Welcome to the Penton site.  The one Larry refered to is on ebay and this is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2488757753&category=6719

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

I wouldn't think it'll stay at that price long. Wonder what it'll wind up selling for? Five days will tell.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Mike OReilly

F.Y.I. that is a really good looking Wassell. If history is any indication, it is worth somewhere between $3-$5000. Most likely toward the higher end of that range. Much less than that and it is a real deal. To quote Rick Doughty of Vintage Iron, "it isn't possible to pay too much for a bike, only to buy it too early".
The only possible downsides are the location (if you live in the east)(you will have to sort out shipping, cost etc.) and the fact that it doesn't appear to be a "Penton". This may or may not matter, but if you check elsewhere on this site, you should be able to get info. on the serial No's. of the Wassells that Mr. Penton brought in and put his label on. I note that the bike offered for sale has "Wassell" tank stickers not "Penton". On the other hand, the mere fact that the stickers are there may attest to its originality.
Good luck with all of this, and have fun.
Like Lew says, a few days will answer these questions.
Mike

firstturn

Mike,
  You bring up a interesting point.  The tank has a Wassel sticker, but the right side shows the old Penton sticker.  My question is which one would you believe?  I know there are stickers out there for the one on the right side, but this one appears original, but it could be a side panal off another bike.
  Does anyone know the numbers that were Penon/Wassel.  I knew buying one of these great bikes would keep me up at night.  Thanks Mike for you input.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

Mike, if $3-$5000 is the range, you just made feel good that I didn't overpay for mine.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dennis Jones

My guess is this bike is a Penton based on that it has a high mount fender. This would make a real nice bike as it has all the hard to find parts, origonal fenders, chain gaurd, lights, and chain oiler. There you go Ron;).

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

robbersroost1

These Wassell's sure demand losts of cash, but $3,000- $5,000 is on the high end, some have sold in this range, but most sell for a lot less. Parts can be found, but please don't be in a hurry. I believe these bikes are the best looking motorcycles ever made. There history is fun to follow, they seem to tell a story of the "little bike that could", but only afer 30 years of trying.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Dennis,
  I agree, but I appreciate Mike pointing out things that a lot of people miss.  Problem here Dennis is I don't have posession of my Mudlark yet![8]:)

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

robbersroost1

This one brought $1,525.00 Hope to see it in POG. Looked like a nice bike. Penton or Wassell? I still need the cousin, Mr Dalesman Trials Bike.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

firstturn

Just a update on the Wassel/Penton that just sold on ebay.  It was in fact bought by a POG member.  So one more comes into the POG family.[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

That member wouldn't by chance be you, would it, Ron?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Lew,
  No sir.  I already have my Championship MudLark.  Now if I can just go get it.[:p]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh