Birthday Parties and Pentons?

Started by firstturn, September 16, 2004, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

People ask me where do you find so many Pentons. Just lucky?  People call me?  I run ads and leave cards.
  Here is a new twist.  I was invited to Steve Wise's Father's Birthday party last week.  Since I worked with Honda Race Team the same time Steve was a factory rider I guess everyone expected to see me show up with wearing some type of Honda shirt.  Instead I just thought I would wear my Penton Owners Group shirt.  What a surprise at seeing some of the old riders and some of Steve's life time friend start telling Penton stories.  Next up was a guy who was a Penton Dealer in the late sixties.  Wow is all I can say.  We were going through all the stories of different riders and tracks.  What a walk through memory lane back to the days of 30 and 45 minute Motos.
  Just to set the record straight Steve's old mechanic was there telling storys of some of Steves early rides and some REAL funny stories.  I loved the story when one time Steve got protested at popular track in Texas(Lockhart).  Not until now did I know the rest of the story.  Steve was OK with the teardown until he had a thought that maybe his Dad had a illegal engine built and never told him.  Well all his fears went away when the head came off and it was on standard bore.  Ask Larry Perkins he was there.
  Just to throw some names around of who got into the discussions on Pentons.  Jimmy Strait(long time engine bilder and a racer in his on right), Mike Strait(long time employee and made Steve's bikes look great), Mark Lee(Past Partner of Honda of McAllen), John Turnberg(long time employee and friend of Steves) Tony Mosely(Kawasaki), Marin Rios(Penton Dealer in the 60's), Gary Wise(Steve's Father) and of course Steve Wise.
  Well I now have new leads and I shared a night of talking Pentons with people who rode them, built them and sold them.  What a night.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron,
That's it. I'm moving to Texas! 99.9% of the people out here act like they never heard of them, but there are 6.5 billion people in CA who love Maicos.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Rain Man

oh oh, better get Maico :)  I know the feeling Donny, Theres just a handful of guys that can keep their balance around here, the rest are on wheelers!!

Raymond
keep right, stay in control (sometimes)
Raymond
 Down East Pentons