Who's farm is that?

Started by rob w, September 24, 2004, 04:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Last time I was in Ohio, I was driving west on state highway 2, and right around Lorain, but not to Amherst yet I saw a large 2 sided sign, they were about 90 degrees to each other, cut in shape of barns, and painted on them was the word "PENTONS". Who's place is that?

Thanks.
Bob

Doug Wilford

The Penton Farm lost a big portion of farm land when Rt. 2 was built.    This left the existing farm bordering Rt 2 where you see the signs, which advertise for the Penton market store on North Ridge Rd. across the street from John.   Johns parents owned and operated an orchard and farm which was later run by brother Bill, John had the Motorcycle business to start with out of the old chicken coupe.   Johns other brothers Ike and Ted set up a small machine shop in one of the garages.   The whole Penton Homestead was used and is still being used by family.   Bills children are still operating the market.

rob w

Thank you very much Doug, Those are the the history lessons I yearn to learn. Next time I'm in the area, I'll plan on hitting the side roads, down-shift to low and take a closer look. If anyone ever runs across some old photos of Ted and Ikes machine shop, I'd love to see those. It was in that machine shop that Ted would fashion-up some proto-type parts for John to show KTM for updates right? Too cool!
 Now do Bill's children sell their own produce at that market, and is that only a seasonal operation?

Thanks,
Bob

TGTech

Bob:
  Technically, Uncle Bill's oldest daughter Kirsten and her husband Andy, run Penton's Country Market. Unfortunately, like most farming operations, once it was shrunk to the size it is now, it was no longer profitable to grow their own produce. Andy makes pilgramages to the Commission Houses in Cleveland to purchase the products at the market, and together, Kirsten and Andy run a pretty upscale market year 'round. The do seasonal things, with Halloween being the big deal for them. They do wagon rides and mazes at the farm all month of October.

I don't have any pictures of the old machine shop per se, but I do have most of the machinery in our shop today. I don't use all of it, but most. That makes the shop sort of outdated by todays machine shop standards, but it still keeps us in business.

If you ever come through the area and have the time, I'd be happy to show you around. It will take a few hours to cover everything, but most people who've seen it, are appreciative.

Dane

Rain Man

Hey Dane,  If your ever looking for any repair parts for that old machinery, I've been reconditioning antique machinery for years, and I know where thers a lot of "old stuff" here and about.  Real cheap too [8D] (like free)

Raymond
keep right, stay in control (sometimes)
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

Dane, Thanks for the additional info on what's happening at the Penton farm today. I'm happy to know it's remained in the family and parts of it are still in operation.
 Also thanks for your invite to tour the grounds, you know I'd never pass up an opportunity like that. I'm grateful for the offer, thank you.
 I was also quite surprised and pleased when I heard that the Amherst Meadowlarks Club and clubgrounds is still running, although I remember hearing something about the clubgrounds possibly changing.
Thanks, Bob

Paul Danik

Bob,

On my first trip to Amherst, many,many years ago, Mr. Penton repaired my steeltanker transmission as my local dealer was not yet versed in those repairs.  When the repairs were completed Mr. Penton mentioned that a shipment of new bikes had just arrived and were going to be unloaded and stored at the farm market.  We went to the farm market and they had a farmers bale elevator set up from the ground to an opening into the loft above the market. I was given the task of inserting the owner's manual and assorted other "goodies" into each crate as it was placed on the elevator. There were guys at the top who would tug the crates away from the door and into some sort of order. I don't know exactly what shipment of bikes that this was, but it was certainly a shipment of very early steeltankers.  Besure to look for that door when you visit the market, it is several feet taller than wide and is directly above the first floor entry into the market, just a bit of early Penton trivia.

One other tidbit about the market. While staying at Mr. Penton's home while prepping for a race trip there would always be fresh fruit served with breakfast, Mr. Penton would walk over to the market early each morning to get some items for his guests, you can imagine how an awe struck youngster felt about that whole deal.

Paul

rob w

Paul

Someday when I make it there, I'll look for that loft door. I could visualize you doing that task as I read your post. I can't get enough of those kind of stories because I enjoy learning the history of this motorcycle and the people surrounding it so very much. As a teenager I would look at the map, see that Lorain was not that far, and would dream about making a visit. Well now I am, with folks like yourself and the wonderful old stories I'm learning, it feels as though I had'nt missed out.
Thanks,

Bob

Mike OReilly

At the risk of being presumptuous...
I was thinking that the Friday before Penton Day at the AMA might be an opportunity to take Dane up on his offer. I know that I share Bob's interest in having a look at the area where this all got started. What better way to see that door on the loft at the market, than having Paul Danik point it out to us himself.
I know that last year, Helmut (aka "Speedy") and crew stopped at Dougs to do Sachs stuff on the way, and I'm sure that was very interesting.
Anyway, just an idea. Any interest, Bob or others?
Mike