New GS 6 Side Panels Coming

Started by DKWRACER, November 03, 2004, 05:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Greetings from Colorado!!![:p]
I am in the process of prepping LH and RH GS 6 side panels for repops. These are slightly larger than MC5 panels and the masters look pretty good. Hopefully enough to be sold to recover the costs for the moulds. What really intrigues me is that I have a set of GS panels for 1978 (3 hole mtng.) for possible repops. In research, the Italian's pictures website does show a number from that era.
?, how many would be interested if I decide to pursue......
Thanks, Tom............
Thomas Brosius

Tony Price

Tom,

What year models and displacements will your GS6 covers fit?

I'm curious about a '77 175.

Tony
Tony

john durrill

Tony ,
 Did you File a claim on the one you brought back?
 Chuckle chuckle. Possesion is 9/10ths of the law you know.:D
John D.

Tony Price

Nah,

But I'm bettin' she gets around some once she gets all cleaned up!

Tony
Tony

DKWRACER

77 for sure!!! perhaps the greatest year for a true GS, but in 76 there was a GS and into 78, also remember that in the 400cc designation was the large "turtleback" high breather frame (77)....
This can get highly confusing, especially with the one off frames...

I am am still in recievership, try "we must"

Thomas Brosius

Dennis Jones

Tom,

What do you mean by turtle back? My 77 250GS has a very large high breather frame. I could be interested in a set. It was nice to meet you at the RR.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Tony Price

Turtle Back?  I'm thinking more like Giraffe Neck!

BTW, I believe the 76 models were actually 6 speed MC5s which have, over time picked up the designation as GS6.  The first true year for the GS6 was 77.

I believe 77 was the last year of the 175 as well, making the 77 GS6 175 a bit of a "One Off" bike.

Of course, I am subject to being mistaken.  It happens daily......

Tony
Tony

tomale

Tony, the 76 MC5's came both ways. out west here they were mostly 5 speeds, you may have some one who converted a bike to a 6 speed. It is not that difficult. The first true GS was 77 the frame was different than the MC5 frame.The 77GS is a high breather and the MC5 is not.  The earlier bikes were Gs by vurtue of a lighting kit and different pipe etc. Rightside covers may have been different too but DKW would have to confirm that. Between Mac, Terry and I we have 2/74HS,75Mint,76MC5, 77 MC5 & Gs6, MC5 78 I will let you guess who's is who's and I am not telling. ;)Mac says his 77MC5 is a 6 speed but the 76 models did not come that way. Not sure about the 78. I never slowed down to count. [8D]

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W