175 Jackpiner thrust washers

Started by Marc Biro, September 28, 2004, 07:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Biro

Can anyone give me the correct thrust washer thickness? I am speaking about the ones that sit on both sides of the connecting rod. Would they happen to be .50mm? Also, what would the clearance between the rod and thrust washer be?

Thanks guys!

Marc Biro

wildman

I will be pushing a 74 jackpiner crank apart shortly. If you're not in too much of a hurry I'll measure the washers and (worn) side clearance as well as the spec for new clearance. Anything I can do to help, cause i'll need one of your rod kits. Do you take used rods for tradein?;) Dan Pagel

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Marc Biro

Dan,

Thanks for responding.

The reason I ask is because I just took a Jackpiner crank apart and found that 1 of the thrust washers measured 1.47mm (.058) and the other .54mm (.022) I believe the .54mm are the correct washers, but wanted to confirm before ordering.

Thanks

Marc

3putt

Marc,
In your 9-3 post advising the availability of the 6B rod kit, John Durrill replied asking about the use in 175cc engines.  In that reply he advised the 175 thrust washers needed to be .025 inches I believe, which works out to be .635mm, and sounded pretty strong in his conviction.  I suspect John has his hands full right now with the Storms that have been in his area, or he would be right in here with his thoughts.  Only an interested observation from my end, and no experience what so ever with them.  Best Wishes, Nelson McCullough

wnm

Marc Biro

Nelson,

I do remember John's reply. However, I am a little confused as the top and bottom journal width on the 175 rod I just removed from a 72' Jackpiner is 16mm. The 125 SACHS is 12mm. How is it possible to use the 125 rod in a 175 motor?

Thanks

Marc B.

john durrill

Marc,
 I'm sorry to be so long on repling to this. Things have settled down enough for me to look up what and why on the Rod Kits.
Euro Rods builds the 125/175 rod from a blank. they bore the rod pin and piston pin holes then mill down the width of the rod and have the rod pin tapered. Having said that the only difference in parts to them between the 2 kits was finding the .025-.030 thrust shims. they were never able to find a supplier and moved to a new location. If your vendor is using finished rod kits and then haveing the rod pin tapered to fit the 125's then they wont be able to supply a 175 kit.
 Thats not a good thing for us. We as a group still dont have a supply of 175 rod kits to draw on. Thanks for your hard work in haveing the 125 kits re-poped.
 We can still get new production 125 rods out of europe but it takes longer and is a bit more expensive.
 If someone still has an NOS 175 rod kit please measure the parts and
and list them for us. All i have is 2 bad cranks and they may or may not have orignal rod kits in them to compare with.
 Doug, Ron , KIp , Bobby any of you guys have one  we could get the measurements off of?
John D.

Marc Biro

John D,

Thanks for the informative reply.

I will speak with the manufacturer to find out if they are starting with a blank to produce the 125 kits. I hope so!

As you stated; it would be helpful to have the 175 specs. from an NOS kit.

marc

firstturn

John & Marc,
  I saw two kits on ebay back some time ago.  Do either of you have a part number.  If so I may be able to find a new assembly.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron,
 the 75 book we have shows a part # of 1.51.30.015.000
for the 175 rod Kit.
John D.

firstturn

John,
  I will see if my friend in Oklahoma has any left where I can get a measurement.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Marc Biro

Sorry I cannot help with the part number, but it looks as though Ron might have something for us soon!

Thanks

Marc B.