MC5 value

Started by mx503, November 27, 2004, 09:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mx503

I have the opportunity to buy a complete running 1977 MC5 250 Red tank (not orange)and a fairly complete parts bike for 900.00 with the running bike in fair condition. Both bikes will need a complete restoration. This is as cheap as I can buy them. What does everyone think?

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

firstturn

Bob,
  I have seen a similar bike (according to your description) go for over $900.00 not including a parts bike.  Not only is it probably a great deal, but it is the last year of Pentons being built and sold in the USA.  Anytime you doubt the worth of the parts you are getting with the parts bike just go on ebay and look at what you would pay for a engine and a frontend.  Buy...If this is the bike you want and I like the Red Tank.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

mx503

Thanks Ron,
I thought the deal was ok but was looking for reinforcement maybe. I tried real hard to get the kid (!) to take less but 900.00 was it. I am going to buy the bikes and with POG members help restore both of them. One for racing and the other to just look at. Thanks again!

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

firstturn

Bob,
  You are welcome, but you might also include what part of the country you are located (of course AFTER you buy the bikes;)) so that if another POG member is close you can help each other.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

mx503

I live right in the heart of the midwest in the Kansas City area. I have spoken to Larry Perkins in the past, who buy the way is a super nice guy. These bikes are pretty rough but I have taken on tougher challenges before. I sold a MC5 last year (dumb,dumb,dumb)and after running across these bikes, I just had to have a new project for winter.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

DKWRACER

Bob, Ron is correct with the info on 77, and the 250 is no slouch in the competetive arena. I hope you take on the winter challenge!Lots of good friends here on this site...Please visit my website under Suppliers as I have been working on repop fiberglass and will soon have GS sidepanels for 1977 models...Talk to ya soon and good luck!!!
Tom........
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

DKW-Tom,
  You left out one thing on your description.  You have been working HARD to help a lot of people complete their Pentons.  Thanks Tom for taking on the challenge of reproducing hard to find and/or unobtainiam parts.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

mx503

Tom,
I was on your site this morning checking out what I will need. The biggest challenge for me will be the motors. I am a perfectionist and will want the motors to be as close to new and "blueprinted" as possible. I will definately need others help for that part. I will be asking a lot of questions in the near future and will beg for patience in advance. Thanks for all of the replies and support! Passion, that's what it is all about! After 35 years of riding and racing, it hasn't dropped an ounce!

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed