175 Jack Piner Info Request

Started by vitaminT, November 30, 2004, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitaminT

Does anyone know the bore x stroke, horsepower rating, carb type, and jet sizes of a non- reed Sachs 175 engine? I think they made a non-reed before KTM. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Any info would help.
Thanks in advance!
Vance

Dwight Rudder

All available Sachs and KTM engines prior to the 80s were Piston Port. (I am not sure when KTM came out with the Reed Valve engine.)
Penton never came out with the Sachs engine 175 Jackpiner although pictures were shown of the prototype ( 1251/6B engine in frame ) The Sachs 1751/6A engine didn't even come out till 1974. 1975 was the only year we saw them in this country in the Hercules GS175/6a motorcycle. This engine is extremely rare and engine parts and almost non existant even in Germany.
The 1976 PENTON GS125 had the KTM engine that couldn't be kept running.
I think there were a very few Sachs 6 speed bikes sold that year also.
Hercules by 1976 was using the NEW 7 speed engines of a completely different design and were not enterchangable with the earlier 6 speed engines. MUCH larger cases.  With a lot of modifying you can put a early KTM 175 top end on the Sachs 6 speed lower.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

john durrill

Vance,
 The bore was 60 mm, the stroke 61 mm and i believe a 32 mm Bing was stock. Send Leo Keller an e-mail he will probably know more .
Rick Grant has one that he has ridden in the ISDT Reunion Rides.
 Dwight and i think Doug have one. They are hard to find and parts are very rare.
All the tooling for that engine was destroyed by Sachs when they came out with the 7 speed engine. Leo can tell you a lot more about the history.
John D.