Racing career , 1973-75

Started by Dwight Rudder, December 01, 2004, 01:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

I remember getting my first Penton from Honda of Daytona. Sonny Fussel was the salesman.  I was going to school ( AMI ) down at Daytona the summer of 1973. I had been dreaming of a Penton since I started racing Enduro and Hare Scrambles in 1971.  I had some money saved up and my Mom gave me an allowance to eat on while going to Mechanics school. I believe it was $6 a day.  I only spent $1 a day on food that summer. I lost 18lbs.  BUT I saved enough to by the Penton that I was drooling over daily .  That Penton Jackpiner was the most beautiful bike Ever !
I rode it for several months before I learned to get the power out of it correctly. Once I hit on that point. I won several H/S overall on that bike.
I traded it in on a Penton Six Day 125 ( a friend of mine had one also ) although I was looking for a Berkshire at the time. ( influnce of Paul Danik and Dane Leimbach in Magazines ).  I raced it to good effect and in 1975 decided to try to qualify for the ISDT.  At my first ISDTQ, I met Dane and Teddy Leimbach. When I found out that there was no fuel truck, Dane volunteered to let me pit out of the Cycleliner.  I was in AWE !  I DNFed that event with a sheared shift key but my friendship with Dane and others I met at that first event has endured.  I did well enough that year that Doug Wilford had enough faith in me to let me ride a 7 speed Hercules Prototype at the LOCO CIENTO TRIALS in Tennessee.
There is my Penton Story,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Larry Perkins

Cool story, Dwight.  Thanks for sharing it.  You have so many good ones I hope you will share more over time.

Larry P

rob w

Dwight,

Yes, I feel the same as Larry, that is good stuff, very fun to read and know. Thanks.
The more I hear these old stories, the more it helps me think back and recall details I had forgotten from my own past.

I too am a certified graduate of AMI in Daytona. Jan. 17th, 1975. You must have been in one of the earliest classes there.

Are you riding any of the AMA National Enduro Series this year? Are you now in the "Senior A" class, or "Super Senior A" ? I know you're the best out there, I would really like to hear more what that has been like. Forgive my ignorance, but do you ride the same course and have the same average speed set as the young guns?

Thanks
Rob

Dwight Rudder

I ride the same course as the AA riders. I ride in Sr.A or Open A. I decide early in season. Lately it has been Sr.A but with Jeff Fredette in there I have been thinking Open A is looking better. I am consistant in my riding and finishes. I am not the fastest out there by a long shot. BUT I am usually there at the end of a tough event. Next season in SERA events I have been thinking of running Sr.A in Hare Scrambles but Open A in Enduro.
I do hope to ride quite a few Nat'l Enduro's next year. BUT I will miss the U/P Mich. Nat'l due to same weekend of Vintage Motorcycle Days. Can't miss that can we.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.