Six day frame cracks

Started by Gavin Housh, November 24, 2004, 07:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

My 72 frame gussets under the gas tank are cracked on both left and right sides. Has anyone else had this problem? If so has anyone attempted to repair this area? Seems like it would just crack again if you just ran a beed of weld over the crack. I am wondering if the high breather frame is stronger in this area, and if maybe I should try to find a newer frame and start over. Gobble Gobble, G man.

Rocket

G man
My suggestion would be to drill a small hole at each end of the crack.  That will keep the crack from going any further.  Then grind a small groove the length of the crack before welding.  I would suggest either MIG or Tig welding.
Rocket

Rain Man

G man, if your gonna weld the crack,   try to drill a hole at the end of the crack so it will stop the crack before you weld it, if its possible to drill under there.
   Also it seems like theres a few frames out there that are selling relatively cheap.  If that things taking a shot hard enough to crack the frame, it wouldn't surprise anyone if it was bent too :(

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rain Man

rocket, are we telecommunicating or something [?], same suggestions, 15 seconds apart, go figure [8D]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

brokenb23

Yes, I just repaired the cracked gussets. Normal wear for a fatigue point on a 30 year old frame. If you are racing you can expect things like this once in while. New welds are cheaper and stronger than replacing the frame. Good Luck.
Bob Brizzee

Rain Man

Bob, I can understand the new welds being stronger, I've been beefing up my swingarms at the kick stand mount so the bikes handle bars aren't dragging on the ground when parked. :(
    I've also noticed that the stripped down bare frames are not bringing in a "big buck" on the evil bay.  If  a frames so bent and twisted out of shape, and the swing arm mounting tabs are trashed, its time to look around for something in better condition
   I bet you can get one in primo condition for 50 bucks.  seems like the labor and time is the critical criteria with the frames. Heck, who wants to spend the weekend changing the frame [8D]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Gavin Housh

Thanks guys, I knew somebody would have had this same problem. Your right Rain Man, I've seen some frames go cheaply. Most of them have been out in the mid west. That gets expensive once you add in the shipping to the west coast. UPS realy charges for bulky items. Does anyone know if the high breather frame is less prone the failure in the head tube area. G man.

OUCWBOY

G Man.
I have not heard of the high breathers having that problem, but I could be wrong. You do add a few pounds of weight with the High Breather.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dennis Jones

I have had a couple of KTM engined frames with cracks in the gussets where the frame tubes and the streering head meet. We just welded them up when prepping for paint.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

rob w

Gavin,

If you'd like a '74 Sixday frame, ser # 311xxxxx, I have an extra I'm not finding room for. It's yours free, just add shipping cost from Grand Rapids, MI. 49546. It's a good frame, one little engine guard tab needs re-welding...blast and paint.

Bob