Another Penton Rescued!

Started by wildman, December 13, 2004, 11:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

My buddy Tom knows I like Pentons so when he told me about a maybe Penton I had to look. He gave me directions so wife and I went North. "Look for a handlebar sticking up from the weeds after coming into Morley, turning on the 1st street right, go through 3 stop signs and look down the hill for a patch of green." So we looked and sure enough, down in the weeds, a flash of geen. Walking through the junkstrewn yard, I looked and ...
a Kaw----i! Crud.
Went back and talked to Tom, "No, no,Go into Morley, take a jog at the light left, then right, turn at the first street and go through 3 stopsigns and look down, ect". So second 100 mile round trip, We follow directions, look down there, no Penton. I stopped and talked to a guy working on his car by the big LOVE JESUS sign in his front yard, he had no idea. So we left dejected and as we were driving away past the SECOND stopsign I thought I saw a handlebar and handlever sticking up fom the weeds about 75ft off the road. We stopped and knocked on the door.
I explained I was on a wild goose chase for an allegded Penton and asked if he knew about any. Sure, thats my dad's bike. I said my friend talked to his dad last summer and he might be willing to sell it. He gave permission to go look at it.
Walking over I could only see a bike covered in snow, laying on its side. I brushed the snow off and uncovered a 1974 Penton Six-days. I looked at the stickers still on the gastank and side covers and got geeked. Picking it up where it had sunk, I saw it had a VDO, headlight, all the parts, even a new Preston Pettey IT rear fender laying under it, new! I leaned the bike against the tree, thought better of it and layed it back down and covered it back up!
I left my name and number with the kid and went into the smalltown of Morley, looking for his dad, the local fire chief. I found him, talked Penton and made an offer. He would consider it and wanted to talk to a friend about what it was worth (crap). I waited a week, no call so I called them, they had lost my number, left it waited another week, called again, they lost the number again! Now I'm getting discouraged. One more call yesterday, "Oh yeah, I'll sell it, come on up".
Part 2, later!  PS I now know what Jackpine enduro engine seals look like!

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

wildman

Part 2. It was snowing hard and 28 degrees when we pulled up at the newfound Pentons home. The owner, Dan (same as me) came right to the door and was ready to go. Laying where I'd last see it, was an original 1974 Penton 125 six days enduro. Picking the bike up where it had rested for who knows how long, maybe 20 years, it was soon apparent the rear wheel was locked up. We couldn't seem to find nuetral so he steered and I carried the rear wheel about 75 ft uphill in the snow. Waa! anyway, loaded up in the van and paid the guy, how much? a secret.
So, I ask the guy, Where did you get the bike originally, trying to establish the bikes provenance, to use a fancy Antiques roadshow term. He says I bought it from a dealer near Saginaw,  it was his 5th Penton and he raced the 1974 Jackpine enduro with it. I looked later and there are twisted wire loops around the cylinder and head looping to the frame and sealed with lead tabs marked "Jackpine Enduro" on one side and 1966 on the other. He told me that his new wife made him stop riding dirt bikes and that he wished he'd gotten rid of her instead (exwife). He then mentioned that his friend that he'd talked to about a fair selling price had been state champ back in the seventies. When I found out it was Phil Hanford I remembered seeing him race a big CCM 4strk back when the 2strks were ruling. Now he's township supervisor with a barn full of old bikes- a future story.
 With a promise to send the title after the holidays, we were off. I could hardly wait to get this lovely up on my table and strip its outer covering and expose its potential use. Instead, a trip to Newaygo State Park for me and my lovely, understanding wife. A totally empty park with snow and nice views of the water didn't totally distract me from that bike lashed behind the front seats. Finally, a bite to eat and its back to my pole barn and unloading. Taking the easy way after trying to remove the master clip, a chain breaker was used and the Penton rolled into its new home on its own two wheels. Now, it was time to investigate my new toy. Next, Part 3, What I found under the seat!

Steve Minor

This is a great story and I can't wait for the next "episode"
Steve Minor

sdm

Tommy_V

Tommy

Lew Mayer

Hey, Tommy,Congrats on you winning the Harley 250.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

cubfan1968

The meaning of Life, the Holy Grail, Jimmy Hoffa. Whats under that seat? I gots to know!!!

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

wildman

Part 3: What I found under the seat.
I had spent 3 weeks wondering if my newfound Penton was as good as it looked at first and if I did get it; what kind of shape was it really in. Ideally, a carb clean and fresh gas and your doing wheelies. It was not to be:(
The first thing I did after clamping it to my bike stand was take an air blower and blow  a bushel of leaves
 out of the cracks and crevices and sweep the floor. What a mess. Then, off came the seat.
My jaw dropped as I saw a gaping hole rusted into the framebreather plates under the seat. Not really structurally bad but ugly. Next the airbox cover came off and the remains of a foam airfilter fell out. Behind it was a really comfortable mouse nest, built clear up to the carb slide. Luckily, the slide was closed or I'd have had mouse condos in the cylinder.
Next, came the flywheel cover. The motor wouldn't budge with the kickstarter so I thought maybe I could wiggle the flywheel to get an indication of whether the piston was seized or the whole crank. Four screws to remove the ign. cover and a little prying to break the seal and... Blooosh, about a quart of water floods out. The ignition was completely filled with water, not a lot of corrision though. The Motosplat is probably DOA, with an old style black lead upper coil. The crank and flywheel don't even wiggle a little, don't know yet what's up there but the spark plug came out looking like just an old plug, not covered with moisture or melted aluminum. The transmission now shifts up and down after getting the locked up chain off the front sprocket. The ignition cover and cases are good, no thrown chains. It had the factory chain protector and something I've not seen: the plastic cap covering the stub of the countershaft, something I'm sure disappeared on most bikes. This is a 1251/6b, #7549862.
The throttle was stuck, which turned out to be a rusty throttle cable, wd40 loosened it up. Carb looks OK,some gunk in float bowl, still soft. The carb slide looks brand new, a good part for sure. The rubber air filter boot is still soft and flexible after all these years. My most pleasing part was the gas tank, clean, dry, no stale gas, two good petcocks, a gas cap and the leather belt is like new, with the remains of "Penton Six Days Qualifier" sticker on it.
Original Metzler tires front and back, They won't hold air. The front forks are nice, one small pit in one tube as well as a good headlight and ears.The rims are somewhat rusty but I thought usable, then I saw the big crack in the front hub. No fixing that, Dang!
Well, that's mostly it. Not beyond fixing, but no wheelies anytime soon. Lots of good parts though and I have a good 73 frame or a 75 frame. I could go either way or repair this frame.
So, was it worth 300 miles driving, three weeks chase and $200? Every mile, every minute and every dollar. Thanks for reading. Dan "Wildman" Pagel

sdm

I think it was worth it but that is just my opinion... Great story
Dan and I think that's pretty much what we all run in to with these old bikes in some way shape or form. I don't think you can put a
dollar amount on the experience and if you are in to it the
restoration process can be fun. Bottom line is you have brought it
back in to circulation weather it is restored or parted out.

Let us know what you decide to do
Sam