78 GS 6 Side Panels

Started by DKWRACER, December 23, 2004, 07:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Could say whooaa, but in scratching thru an old box in the shop, I came across a LH an RH set of panels that presented a mystery...
Much like MC5 (78) only with the long sweeper MC5 style decal , but has GS designation...
Of note is three hole mounting, much like 77 panels. In comparing true 78 MC5 side panels which were two hole mounting, these panels are three hole with the leading edge on the numberplate portion extending forward like 77's, so there must have been a forward mounting tab on the downtube (area of carb)
In comparing GS 77 panels to these panels, they are close, but subtle differences do occur...Further exploration of Tiscali photos have confirmed that I might have 78 GS6 three hole mount panels...so those frames in GS fashion were different!!!???
I would be willing to repo...
Wattcha think..
HH!!!
Tom....
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
  I own a bike that is labeled a Penton, but it is a 78 400?  I am not where the bike is located, but I will look at it next time I'm there and see what it looks like since I have no side panels for it.  It came from the original owner with Penton on the tank which he says is the way he purchased it new???? Will see.  Merry Christmas Tom.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

ODE to a Penton!!!
Thanks Ron, Tom...
Thomas Brosius