Shifter and Brake Brush Gaurds

Started by Dennis Jones, December 30, 2004, 07:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

OK, after having a 5' long stick cause me to take a header at the Monster Mt. CC it is time to take some preventative measures. What are you in the know guys doing? I'm thinking of useing stranded cable but I don't know how to swag the ends.Thanks in advance.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Lew Mayer

Dennis, I've seen aluminum swedge ends that you hammer together after you make your loop. I also may have an old kit for cable guards. If I can find one I'll send it to you. E-mail me your address in case I find one. Didn't know you went down so hard, Dude. Take your brake pedal off and you won't have to worry about it. You don't need it.
If I find one, it might cost you some of that good local beer you had.
Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Dennis,
  I will be on vacation for a week, but after I get back I will buy and send you what you need.  If you are in a Lowe's they normally have the connecting pieces that are made out of aluminun.  Let me know if you don't find it.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Hi All,
I'm pretty sure either Moose or MSR makes a brushguard kit that comes with the cables and swags. If I remember correctly, the kit has enough stuff to do a couple bikes. You can probably find the kit in the Parts Unlimited catalog at most any bike shop. Hope this helps.
Dave McCullough

Dave Withrow

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis........O ye of little faith.  I have an original brush guard loop with the bash plate.  All you had to do was ask.  Had any bananas lately?
                              Dave

Steve Minor

I recently bought some cable and swags at my local Lowe's Home Improvement Store. They had all sorts of cable, fittings and swags in various sizes......I used them to repair a garage door.
Steve Minor

Dennis Jones

Thanks for all the help guys ( except Dave's offer of a banana, Michelle still laughs about that ;) ) Lew you may be on to something, if I take the brake off I may be able to keep up  with you. We have a Lowes in town, I will see what they have or look into the Moose kit. See you at the races.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Chakka

Dennis,

Try a sailing supply place like //www.layline.com
My other interest is sail boat racing and I spend a lot of time nico-pressing stainless wire into soft brass sleeves. Layline has all the wire, crimps and swaging tools you would need to do the job

Chris