1969 Steel Tanker seat trim

Started by t20sl, December 20, 2004, 03:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

What was the correct seat trim on a short style 1969 seat?  Did original seat have the roll and pleats running across it?  What was the correct trim on the sides?  Screws, rivets  or nothing in the 4 holes on the side of pan?  Thanks, Ted

Kip Kern

Ted  No seat trim used,  only rivets on each side.  I've seen original photos of both the smooth and pleated coverings on 68/69 seats.

t20sl

Kip:  Was it a large headed pop rivet with the little hole in the center or something special?

Kip Kern

Ted  My seat guy uses the large headed pop rivets, but the originals were a black rivet that spread open in the back over a small washer.  Very hard to find!

t20sl

Kip;  Do you have any dimensions on these elusive rivets?  Head diameter?  I have a lathe and the time but no idea of the size of head.  Thanks, Ted

Kip Kern

Ted  I sure don't but I have tossed a bunch of them tearing old seats apart.  Kevin Grimes (POG) may have the measurements though.

t20sl

Come on guys, someone has a seat with original rivets they can measure with a dial calipers?????

t20sl:  My old '68' Berkshire has the original seat and cover on it.  Even has a small original rip.  Also I'll get out in the shop and get measurements.  If I remember right, my old 007 6 day had brass rivets and may have turned black from age.  They were a large rivet with a washer on the inside.  I had got new ones someplace from when I recovered the seat and may have some left, I'll look.  The newer Berkshire has large chrome rivets.  007

OUCWBOY

I sold a 69 seat a couple weeks ago and the rivits were brass that turned black. My orignal 69 had chrome or aluminum rivits on it. The rivit head size is about the size of a dime.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Ted, I went out and measured my seat rivets, the Berkshire has a flat brass rivet about 12mm diameter and the 6-day rivets are only 10mm. These may or may not be original sizes, hard to say.  I replaced the 6-day ones with the 10mm and they look good only smaller.  I have a few of these and some larger brass 12mm rivets.  The 10mm came from a old Penton inventory.  They are chrome and are split open in the back with washers.  Not much help, I guess????  There is 4 on each side.

t20sl