Clutch Hub Holding Tool - 72 Jackpiner Black Engin

Started by KJDonovan, January 09, 2005, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I'm in the process of tearing down a 72 Jackpiner engine and have gotten to the clutch hub.  Does anyone know where I can find a clutch hub holding plate or have any ideas on holding this is place when I remove the nut?  I saw a post here for making up tool using an old clutch plate, but the only ones I have the ones I need to put back later.  If anyone has ideas send them my way!

Thanks,

Kevin
[8D]

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Kip Kern

Kevin,  Take two old steel clutch plates and weld a small flat handle between them.  It is the same thing as the KTM tool.  The handle fits between the KS shaft and the shift shaft.;)

wildman

The easiest way is to zap it off with an air impact gun. Usually leaving the plates in will give enough drag to break loose the nut. Another way is a Joe Bolger vise-grip modified tool that has two long jaws that will grip any inner clutch hub, nice if you work on a lot of different kinds of bikes. I just use the impact gun. If you have every thing ready your local bike mechanic will probably spin it off for a few bucks (or free). Good luck, Dan.
PS. Tightening the nut is where having a holder is more important so as to be able to accurately torque the nut.
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

vmx1963

I made up a nifty holding bar out of flat steel.  One end has a hole drilled in to fit over the shift shaft, and the other end fits against the clutch basket to hold it in place when working on the nut.

VMX1963
Western Australia
//www.vmxktm.net

Big Mac

Kevin- I've been there and battled removal and install of the high torque nuts in tearing down and re-assembly of KTM motors. An air impact wrench is great, but if you're w/o compressed air and working from a low budget garage bench like me, you can get by in great shape with an El-cheapo electric impact wrench for about $40 from someone like //www.harborfreight.com.

I had my serious doubts about one of these Chinese gizmos at first, but after wrenching on lots of various vintage bikes, the one I bought 4 years ago has never let me down -- not one stubborn nut that refused to budge, and not one bit of damage from over-torqueing. Have never needed a holding tool of any sort...just minor resistance from a strap wrench or palm of your hand (not OSHA approved method)and the wrench does the rest. You can quickly bust loose the sprocket nut, get the flywheel on and off (w/ Motoplat puller tool) and nuts on the clutch hub and the pinion gear. Again, probably breaking all rules of safety, but I've never used anything more than standard Craftsman sockets too w/o a problem.

Has saved me lots of time and frustration. Good luck!
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

KJDonovan

Mac,

Thanks for the suggestion on the impact wrench.  I'd try that but I am afraid of damaging the threads on the spring-loaded clutch bolts as they get twisted sideways when I even attempt to move the nut at all. I spoke with Al Buehner and he is going to mail me out a clutch hub holding tool this week so I plan on waiting till it gets here just so I don't hose anything up.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to use to hold the driving pinion, guess I'll try the impact wrench.

On a slightly separate note, does anyone know these are both left or right handed nuts?  I know the flywheel was left I was thinking these probably are too, but it does not appear to be specified in the manual I have.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

john durrill

Kevin,
 You can stuff a shop rag between the primary gears and get the nut loose on the crankshaft ( before you take the clutch off). If the threads are not dinged up on the allen bolts that hold each clutch spring on, you can use a very small sloted screwdriver to hold the bolts as you turn the nuts to loosen them up. You can use a 1/4 inch drive socket held with vice grips and the screwdriver through the center of the socket, to get them off.
KTM had a very long allen wrench in their special tools that reached through the opposite side engine case and held the allen bolts for removeal and tighting. We have not found a source for allen wrenches that are that long.
 Someone on the list has to have 2 bad steel plates they could send you to make up the holding tool for the big nut that holds the clutch hub on.
 Have someone weld a handle to the 2 steel plates and you will have a good holding tool that will not damage the clutch hub.
 With the above setups you can use a good socket and braker bar to remove the big nuts on the crank and lay shaft and a torque wrench to install them.
 They are right hand threads ( on the nuts) on the left side of the engine.
 Hope this is some help,
John D.