Penton plastic tank?

Started by Mick Milakovic, January 24, 2005, 10:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

I'm referring to the greater knowledge of "Pentonia" here!  I bought a 76-77 model GS with a large, what looks like 3 gallon tank on it.  It is blue, but has no stickers or stampings on it.  Did those bikes come with plastic or glass tanks?  I really have no need for it and would like to offer it up to one of "us" before it goes on ebay, but I don't know for sure about it's origin.  I have pictures I can send.  Would someone know and care to take a look at the pics for me?

Mick

firstturn

Mick,
  Without a picture it is hard to tell, but Windsor and one other company that I know of(can't recall the name) made tanks to fit the Pentons.  I had one that I gave to a fellow POG member so that he could take care of his good tank.
  You might go to Al Buehners page and see if it looks like the after market tank he sells.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

There was a company on the west side of Cleveland called Hoss, that made some plastic tanks and fenders for us. Those are the only plastic tanks other than Windsor that I know of. I don't know if the Clarke outfit was in business at that time.

Dane

Mick Milakovic

Ron, thanks for the tip because the tank looks EXACTLY like the Windsor!  I'll list it on the For Sale page, thanks again!

Mick

tomale

Clarke does make two tanks that fit the vintage KTM's. They refer to them as MC5 tanks and the one that looks like the MC5 stock tanks does fit, but the other one looks like the 77 GS whether is does fit it or not I am unsure. I have a red MC5 tank from them.(the one that looks like the stock MC5 tank and it fits both my 76 and my 78 It does not fit the 75 highbreather Mint 400. IT only has one Petcock mount and they use a universal bolt pattern. They  make an adapter so that you can use a stock Petcock. I know that they have been in business for a very long time. It seems to me that when Mac and I were driving to the runion ride last fall I saw an old ad for them in one of the mag's we were looking through. So it could have been one of their tanks.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W