Leaking Seals

Started by Mike Horton, February 01, 2005, 02:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Horton

After my ride yesterday, I noticed oil on the case below the kick starter. Guess the seal is leaking. Is this a big deal to fix and are they available ?  Is the seal accessible from the outside ? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike Horton

crash carden

Hello Mike, I have a 73 Piner which I did a complete restoration on,and I replaced the outer seals on the shifter shaft and the kick starter shaft as well. These seals set in the step on the outer side of the side case. I had no trouble changing them. If I remember correct I did it before I put the motor back together.I have also installed them on my other Penton's with the side case on the engine.I took a tiny straight edge screw driver and pulled the old seals out,then I made sure to clean the dirt out of the seat step so I would get a good seal and oiled up the new seals and slid them on. I bought the seals from Al Buehner.Even if you have to remove the side case its an easy job.
    Hope this helps you out, have fun with your new Piner! :D Crash Carden - GO TEAM PENTON!