My 1st Penton

Started by tomale, January 14, 2005, 01:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I grew up in California. In the Bay area to be more specific. I had never seen a Penton but had read about them. I marveled at how reliable they were. But they were a enduro bike and there was not much of that sort of thing in my neck of the country. I had been captured by Motocross. I had seen the Europeans ride at a place that has long since gone. It was called Halls Ranch. To my knowledge it was the only time that such an event was ever heald there. It had a great TT track and a killer hill climb but to my knowledge the only Motocross race ever heald there was when the Euorpeans had come. It must have been 1970 because I had my license to drive. I had been contracted by the club that put it on to pick up all the beer cans that was left behind. I spent several days doing that and I picked up alot of cans which I sold to help buy my first bike. I was impressed with how fast they rode over the toughest course. ON the TT track they went fast but then that California clay was almost as hard as the pavement I drove in on. The Euorpeans seem to go just as fast on smaller bikes and alot rougher ground. Anyway when I finally got to race for myself partly due to the guys I rode with it was a motocross race and not an enduro. (The Reunion ride this year was the only thing like that I had ever done). Five years later I am racing and doing quite well. At least I thought so. Nothing compared to some of you guys but I was having fun and it got me to thinking that I could do this for a living. What could be better. As I looked for a bike that would handle the rigors of racing, that would not take alot to get it ready for the big time the only bike in my mind that could do that was the Penton/KTM. IN March of 76 I was at a friends shop and in came two guys with two brand new Pentons. They were different than anything I had seen before. Finally MR. Penton had come out with a real Motocross Machine. They were being used by the Pro's and doing quite well. That was the bike for me. It took some doing but finally I found a shop that could order one for me and I waited for the bike to come in. In august the bike arrived and I was the proud owner of a brand new Penton 250. I still have that bike. Not that I am all that wise I just could not give it up. It was the last thing that I had of a dream that never did quite die. The dream did not die it changed into a something more reasonable. It is a joy to get on a bike that I have had for a very long time. I rode that bike at the reunion ride and like the champ it is. It performed the way all good champs do... flawlessly. I guess that one Penton is not enough I now own 4 of them. 2 400's 1 250 and 1 125. 2 of them are project bikes and are a long way from running condition. but as time allows that should change. Thanks to so many of you, this would not have even been possible a couple of years ago, as I wondered how I would even get the first one up and running the way it should be. I am amazed at how many people still do not know that parts and help are available for these beautiful machines. Nope I never made the Pro's... with in a few months of that first Penton my life would change in ways that I never thought possible. It would take me out of state and down a path that looked nothing like the life I had lived before with new people and new dreams. No regrets for I am truly blessed.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

For the people who have never seen Thom ride you can just imagine what would have happened if he would have been in the position to turn Pro.  Thom is a great rider and he and Big Mac get the Iron Men award for their drive from the Northwest to Tulsa.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

crash carden

Great story Thom,and its really cool that you still have your original Penton 250.I hope to get to meet you someday and see you race :D. I have my original 73 Jackpiner that I bought when I was nineteen years old. It keeps me young at heart,as everytime I fire it up and smell that old Hi-Point mix I am once again 19. Those Penton's what a youth pill! Good luck in your future racing events!
Crash Carden- GO TEAM PENTON! [8D]

tomale

Thanks Ron, Crash, Ron ahh shucks. [:I]
Bildough and I maybe doing a few ahrma races together so you may get to see me yet this year. Not sure about Mac. His kids are pretty young and it is hard for him to get away. I hear that there is a race in Texas.... hmmm that would be fun[8D] There are alot of fast guys so we shall see.
Side note.... when I was racing the Penton the first time I had never won a race on it. I think it had to do with the fact that it was a very difficult time in my life personally and it was effecting my racing. Several things happened that year that tore at the very fabric of my life. And to say that it does not effect me would be untrue and arrogant. No regrets. Life is good!

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

James

Thom, are you going to the Diamond Don's in Jefferson? If I can help you by being in Tucson, let me know-as I am going and have not yet found a traveling partner.  James

Yamazuki-Kawahonda all sounds the same to me.. Reela bike were made in Europe
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

tomale

I am not sure of the schedule for this year. Bildough and I have been talking and I maybe going with him. where is home for you.... generally speaking... I know that there are several guys from up here that do make some of the Ahrma events. If I can get you hooked up that might be great. I hear that there is going to be alot more Post vintages races this year in the west than in years passed. It is about time. Still the traveling is a problem when you have to be gone so long just to make a race. Maybe one day we will have more races that could be made in two to three days round trip. Most races for me are at least 1000 miles away and that would be the close ones  So. Calif is more like 1500 miles I hope to make Carnigie park near Livermore Ca. I never raced there but I saw two Trans Ama races there. I have a picture of the pits and the starting line. I think the year was 74. It was the first year that Honda used the color red on their bikes. Seemed to me that the muffler had a red stripe on it. Ron you probably know. I am amazed I even remember what I had for lunch yesterday... It is funny how some things stick out in your memory.

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

James

Thom, I am in Tucson, Az. now. I am going to Diamond Don's. I have yet to find anyone to ride along. The only person from Tucson going is already getting a ride froma California friend-they are full.
Mabe I should post for someone between here and there who needs ride/ bike hauled etc.   James

Yamazuki-Kawahonda all sounds the same to me.. Reela bike were made in Europe
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

mx503

Tom,
Like you my first Penton was a 1976 model leftover in 77. I put fox airshox on it and had a blast that year. I am working on restoring a couple of MC5 250's as we speak. How remarkable it is to have the bike you bought new after all these years. Do not ever sell that bike!

Thanks, Bob
Bob Peed

tomale

Bob, that is amazing, I did the same thing. I had a set of Fox air shocks too that I had but on the MC5 I ended up selling them with the Maico that I had. They were good but I think that there are better shocks now. I must admit though it was nice being able to adjust the air pressure to fit the situation. I am finding it hard to find a set of springs to fit my Marzokes that will work right for my over size body..

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

mx503

Tom,
I have the Purple springs on my shocks. I am not sure what the rating they are though. If they are heavy springs, I would be happy to swap them with you. I also have a set of S&W shocks that the springs might work as well. I am going to have my shocks rebuilt and restored for my non-riding bike I am restoring. I am buying the Ohlins for the race bike as I hear they are the best for vintage racing, better than the airshox I used so many years ago. The Fox airshox were soooo trick back then, everyone used them as you know. Even the factory riders had them. Let me know if I can help with the springs!

Bob Peed
Bob Peed

Rocket

From what I can remember, the purple springs were stiffer than the black spring Marzocchi's.  
Rocket

tomale

Rocket, yes you are right. the puple ones are stiffer than the blacks. but they are still not stiff enough for this large rider. One of the this that I ran into that maybe of some interst to others is that although the geometery looks the same on the 78 Mc5 as it does for the 76/77 it is not. I had a set of shocks and springs on my 76 that were a bit soft but worked alot better on the 78. the reason is because the angle of the shocks on the 76 is steeper than it is on the 78. It is just enough to cause it to need stiffer springs than it younger brother. I would imagine that it would need stiffer dampening too.
by the way. I saw you at the reunion ride and saw your results, way to go. too bad I did not get to meet you, maybe next time I get back that way.. when... good question..[?]

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rocket

Thom
Thanks for the compliment on the Tulsa results, I had a lot of fun.  Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you too.  Maybe in Arkansas?
Rod

tomale

Rod, I would love to make it but not sure that is possible. Never know the year is still early and things can change. I had a great time too, It was the best two days that I can remember in a long time. It was a near perfect weekend.

78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

dkwkid

I was 15 years old helping out at the pits for a District 37 desert race.On the Saturday afternoon one of our club members bought out a 250cc Penton Hare Scrambler set up for the Baja 500 that year.I had only ridden trailbikes and the owner (Charlie Hamill) let me ride it!
I,ll never foget that ride- I rolled on the throttle and my arms shot straight out!What a machine.I was wise enough to take it easy after that.