1st enduro on a Penton

Started by G Ellis, January 13, 2005, 11:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Ellis

My first enduro on a 175 75 Penton. It was in 1975 at the Burr Oak National in IL. This was not my first Enduro. How lucky could I get, I drew a 98 number. Yes a 98, I was the second to the last line to leave that morning. It was 45 degrees and raining oh what fun. Running down the roads, the rain was stinging me like needles. The trails were all mud,after the first check all I did was ride. Didn't worry to much about keeping time. At the gas stop I was 55 min down on my minute, I was cold and tired wanted to quit. My brother was at the gas stop,and had to retire with electrical trouble on his 76 175 Penton. My brother told me that I wasn't going to quit, because I just got back 30 minutes at the gas stop. So I was only 25 minutes down, also he told me that alot of riders were dropping out. My brother cleaned my goggles and put gas in my Penton, and started it. When I got on my bike my brother told me, you might not be able to finish, but your Penton can. So I headed off again wet and muddy. When I got to the last check I was 57 minutes down on time. When I got back to the truck that day, all I wanted to do was to get dry clothes on and go home. My brother told me we are not leaving yet,I told him I wanted to go. My brother told me we have to go and see how you finished. I told him I didn't see how I could of done any good. We both went to see how I did, and I couldn't believed what was posted on the score board. I won the 175 B class and just missed over all B class win by 1 minute. To this day I still have that trophy. My brother was right that Penton could make it, though I just barely made it.  Gary Ellis 1st National Enduro Class Win

tmc3c

Great Job!!                  Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

cubfan1968

Great story. Sometimes it pays to listen to big brother.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Lew Mayer

Great story. It's why I've never sold my Jackpiner, it never let me DNF. I might have houred out but that Penton never let me down.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Mick Milakovic

Great job Gary!!  It seems like ALL of the Burr Oak enduroes were raining and muddy!  I lived about 10 miles north of Rose Lawn at that time.  Did you ever see any of the "sun bathers" from Naked City" when you were riding?  they used to come out and lean on the fences to watch the racing!

Mick