Leading axle forks on 1975 Penton

Started by Chakka, March 04, 2005, 01:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

Anybody running 35mm leading axle forks, Ceriani or Marzocchi's on a 1975 vintage frame? I know the Hi-Point catolog lists them as an accesory but that they came stock with straight leg 35mm's. I wondered about how the bike would handle with such a mod. Anybody out there tried it yet?

Chris

Rocket

Chakka
The 76 bikes with the 75 style frame came with the leading axle forks, some of them.  In my opinion, they didn't turn very well in the woods, very stable in the fast open terrain.  I think to make them work as good as the straight leg forks, you need to put longer shocks on to steepen the rake.
Rocket

John Ehrhart

I wouldn't bother.
I have a '75 Jackpiner with 200mm Cerianis and a '78 400 with leading axle Marzocchis. The Cerianis always worked better and never lacked for stability out in the desert or handling in tight areas.

1969 Husqvarna 400 Cross
1974 Monark
1975 Jackpiner
1978 GS6 400
1981 250 MX
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

Chakka

Thanks Guys,

Thats what I needed to hear. I will keep my eyes out for a set of straight leg 35mm units. I procrastinated too long on the ebay set that went the other night. I hope a POG member got them

Chris