Splitting the Cases

Started by Nick, February 28, 2005, 12:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I have a manual, that covers splitting the cases, but I can't find it right now, so I thought this would be the place to ask questions.  I have a 1976 Penton 400 MC5 and can get the cases about 3/4 inch apart, but no further.  Something is definately catching on something.  Does the transmission have to be in neutral (I can get the countershaft to spin freely, but then, for some reason, it catches again).  The ignition, countershaft sprocket, and all allen head bolts are removed, but the clutch basket is still on).  If I can't get the countershaft to stay in neutral, do I have any options, like completely removing the clutch?  Thanks.

Kip Kern

Nick  You can leave the clutch assembly on and still split the KTM cases.  The mainshaft sometimes hangs up when pulling the cases apart as it could be cruddy.  Doesn't matter what gear it is in to seperate the cases.  The right side case can hang up on the shift shaft, lay shaft, selector barrel,  sometimes transmission fork shafts but not normally.  You should be able to get it if all mentioned is removed from the right side.  There is also a spacer and "O" ring on the Mainshaft too that could give you problems.  Keep trying;)

Rocket

More than likely, the case is hanging up on the countershaft.  Make sure you remove the spacer and o-ring from the countershaft, and then tap lightly with a soft face hammer on the countershaft and they should come right apart.  Usually the hardest part in splitting is getting the cases started off of the locating dowels.  
Rocket

Nick

Thanks guys.  I don't remember removing a spacer and o-ring, so that could be it.

John Ehrhart

Sorry, it's been about twenty years since I did it last, but shouldn't the trans be in third gear when you split the cases?

1969 Husqvarna 400 Cross
1974 Monark
1975 Jackpiner
1978 GS6 400
1981 250 MX
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson