Shock position

Started by rich allison, March 15, 2005, 09:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Then there's another shock position that I had'nt thought about when building my Penton with this same frame/swingarm configuration. Wished I had.

Top mounting point being the bolt normally used when mounting the shocks vertical, or the bolt near the seat mounting screw.
And the bottom mounting point being the one furthest back on the swingarm, or just above and in front of the rear axle.
Next time I buy new race shocks, I'm going to change to this set-up. I want to be like Mike....Lenz that is.

rob w

Oh and also, if you mount the shocks vertical, or use one of the holes furthest forward on the swingarm. That places the load in the middle or weakest point of the swingarm. The swingarms have been known to twist or bend if ridden hard enough in that position.
Mine has the reinforcement plates welded to the inside of the exsisting swingarm gussets. That trick brought to us by Knute.

Bob

firstturn

Rob W,
  Seems like I remember some of those short travel swing arms (bent)[:o)].  What was so funny after a Moto I came in and was looking at how loose my chain was and never realized my swing arm was bent.  Great memories, but not at the time[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rich allison

My jackpiner has the same gussets down the swingarm as the 250 of the aussie. Did they put additional gussets on these swingarms?

richard j allison
Rich

Mike Lenz

Heres what I figured out for max shaft travel to give you about 4 inches travel at the wheel in the different positions with the shock in the upright hole on top:

All the way back over the axle 3.4"
next hole forward 3.25"
next 3.1"
next 2.9"
next 2.75"
all the way forward 2.6"

I also use 15 inch shocks in the rearmost hole. If using the other holes you would need 13.5 to 14.25 inch shocks.