Penton Manuals on CD

Started by peter kane, February 10, 2005, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter kane

All right, here's the scoop: I have the green-light to begin producing all Penton manuals on CD but I first wish ask the Group what would be the most useful to them.  There are a few ways this can be done: Produce CD's that are year and model specific, i.e. all steel tanker data on one disk (including any factory releases - modifications/changes - that may be located) or, put ALL manuals on one disk.  The former results in less expensive to produce, the latter results in a more expensive project due to the volume of material.

The time to do this is now.  I think that as the ground work for the Penton Future Project is laid, digital preservation of these valuable manuals is essential.  Not only will digital preservation save your valued manuals from more abuse in the shop (grease/dirt) it also opens up opportunities to do among other things, Power Point presentations at meetings and gatherings.  Doing this seems to be in the line of thinking of the Penton Future Project: "We are especially interested in ways to reach out to young people with the exciting story of the Penton legacy."  It's a digital era – and while we may not have grown up with computers – it is the language spoken by most youth.  Can you see a Power Point presentation on a 10-15 foot screen put on for young enthusiasts in a school auditorium, scouts, civic groups, etc.?  

I spoke with Al this morning and will remain in contact with him throughout this endeavor.  He noted several frame number corrections in 003 and some other issues in 006 – these corrections would be made and plugged in on the CD version.  All corrections will be made through your assistance.

Anyway, please give me some feedback.  

****All manuals on one disk, or

****Year/model specific on one disk?

Peter Kane
V3442
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]

Tony Price

Since no one can have just one Penton due to the progressive addiction that comes along with the Marque, I would think an all in one CD would be best.

There is no such thing as too much information...........

Tony
Tony

tmc3c

I belive that there is a guy in Fla. who is selling something on the line of this on e-bay but I don't know for sure how extensive it is.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

peter kane

I've been on eBay quite a bit in the past few months and haven't seen any of this stuff there.  I've seen & purchased several manuals, but nothing on disk.  My feeling is that in order for these to come out right and accurate it has to be done through POG members.  Al outlined several problems with either misidentification or omission of certain things, for instance, say, mid-production changes/alterations did not make the manuals - Al's penciled in most if not all of these changes (production numbers, etc.)

We, POGGERS, own and are passionate about these bikes.  I know this from what I have learned and gotten from this group, particularly this board.  If someone in Florida is doing this and it didn't come through the assistance and wisdom of POG members - the owners, the wrenchers, the racers, the riders, the supporters, etc. then I'm not so sure I would want it.  What I am planning is extensive and exhaustive - look, I'm tired already!

Just my opinion.

Peter Kane
V3442
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]

KJDonovan

Peter,

I'm in agreement with Tony, all on a single disk.  How do you plan on doing this from a technical perspective, i.e., do you plan on something basic like each manual to a pdf and then burning the manuals to CD OR generating something similar to a chi (compiled help index) and associated chm (html help file)?  I know that the latter is a lot more work.  Anyway I'm in Northwestern RI, not too far from you and if you need any assistance on this project I'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

tomale

This sounds like a great idea. I seem to have more manuals than bikes. And I still do not have enough. Having everything in one place that could be printed out if need be would be of great help. One of the things that I have run into is that the specs from one manual to the next does not alway argee. Like deck heights. They are not all the same and it varied some the early bikes to the later ones and from MX to GS. I found a copy of a brochure that must have come with a new bike that was very helpful. since it was the newest information for the bike I had. So having a CD with all of the updates would be great. What might be helpful is an appendage that included tuning tips and porting diagrams modern day fixes for old bikes. Tool diagrams for tools that were made up to work on bikes made out of things that are available from the local hardware store, etc. It seems like alot of information... is that possible on one disk?

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

peter kane

Thanks folks, this is what I'm looking for – feedback!  Kevin says:

I'm in agreement with Tony, all on a single disk.

This I believe would be ideal but what may be even better is to do this three different ways: 1. Individual manuals on a single disk; 2. A customized disk with just what an individual needs or wants; and 3. All manuals on one disk (or two, depending how they're finally burned).

How do you plan on doing this from a technical perspective, i.e., do you plan on something basic like each manual to a pdf and then burning the manuals to CD OR generating something similar to a chi (compiled help index) and associated chm (html help file)? I know that the latter is a lot more work.

I did the Clymer/Sachs on 7.0 Adobe Pro. which when scanned in OCR is searchable, but it has its limitations.  The level of sophistication of this project depends on what I am able to gather in terms of info by members, i.e. any printed info that is not in the original manuals, etc.  

Thanks you Kevin for offering to help with this project.  Man... you don't know what you just got yourself into.:D    

Peter Kane
V3442
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]

tmc3c

Hey Peter,I had said a guy in Fla. was doing this already and I was wrong it was laser printed,and the guy is in Daytona and is running on e-bay now #4539623747 .I don't know why I thought they were on cd's.It must of been that laser thing that caught what little mind I have left.[:p]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tlanders

Since I have Pentons from 1971 to 1981, and am looking for a 1984, I vote for all on one manual. Thanks for doing this. It will be of great service to all of us.

Teddy

peter kane

Well the manuals project is going well.  A little glitch two weeks ago when a friend turned me on to some fantastic new software that is going to make this look first rate - just like the bikes.  The only thing is, I was 95% complete with the scanning (over 20 manuals) and had to start all over because what has been done couldn't be converted.  It's under control and I expect their release at Vintage Days in July.  It's still up in the air how they're to be formatted - all bikes in a set, or model specific.  Either way they'll be PDF, indexed and hopefully with a special treat that all will enjoy.  

I wish to give a special thanks to Al (who will probably never see this) who without his assistance and his manuals none of this would be possible and to Dane for his input and to all others who have emailed me with their comments and suggestions.  Thanks!

-Built for Champions-

GO PENTON!

Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
[email protected]

cubfan1968

Got to hand it to you Peter. This is above and beyond the call of duty. I get the feeling sometimes that the "Old Guard" is looking for us new guys to step up to the plate and contribute more. Thank you very much for all the hard work. I look foward to meeting you at Mid-Ohio.

Rod Whitman
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Peter,
I purchased a CD manual for a 73 Jackpiner on ebay about a year ago. It only has that model on the CD. I can't remember the guy that I bought it from but it was definately on ebay.
I also think it would be better to include all models on one CD.
Thanks for all the hard work.