NEVER NEVER QUIT-DANIK STORY

Started by Larry Perkins, July 31, 2001, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Never, never, quit.

Once Winston Churchill gave a speech in which he said several times, "Never, never, quit."  That was it.  Simple and concise.  This theme would sum up a great Paul Danik story I would like to tell to those that have not had the priveledge to hear it or to meet Paul.

When Paul was 20 years old he decided he wanted to try and make the Six Days team.  He knew nothing of the politics of the game and did not know till later that all but a couple of spots were decided.  He was racing on his own at the time and did not have a way to get his bike to Fort Hood, Texas for the Qualifier.  He called up Doug Wilford and asked if there was any way the Penton Team could haul his bike for him and he could get there himself on the bus.  Instead Doug invited Paul to bring his bike and come with them on The Cycleliner which was the Team transporter for those wiley guys that made our beloved bikes famous.  Well of course Doug was pumped like any of us would have been, especially at 20.

On the first day of the two day qualifier Paul crashed hard and seperated his shoulder.  He continued on and on day two crashed another time banging up his knee badly.  Then in the MX special test he broke his handlebar off, remounted, stuck the bar between the remains and the triple clamp, and finished.  His efforts landed him a Silver for the Two Day.  

When the trip was over Paul told John Penton that he owed him for a place to stay, parts, and gas expenses.  John told him that he didn't owe him anything and that there was a container coming and that one of the bikes in it was his because he wasn't a quitter.  The rest is history of course.  Paul made that ISDT team and went on to his fame aboard Pentons. When he tells this story you can tell he still is appreciative for Doug Wilford's hospitality.  On Paul's desk today thirty years later sits a picture of Doug and him battling it out in the MX special test at Fort Hood.  Even after those many years they are the best of friends-The Kid and The Old Guy.

I was never fortunate enough to see Paul race in his prime but he was quite the MXer and once took Second on the 125 in an Inter-Am race at Honda Hills behind some guy with the last name of Penton.  So much for the theory that those Enduro guys can't jump.
I did get to see a glimpse of the old Paul Danik at Mid-Ohio motocrossing and the style was there and he defeated Jeff Smith.  Not everyone can say they have beaten a former World Champ.

I also saw Paul's Never Quit attitude passed on to a new generation this weekend at Honda Hills.  In the National Cross Country Paul's son Chad was entered in the 200 and under Novice class.  It was raining and very mucky.  Part way through the race his bike came in the hard way with no spark.  By the time things were dried out and fired back to life Chad was down a lap and questioned whether he had a chance.  Paul encouraged him to go on and it proved good advice on a day when finishing often meant winning.  Another Danik was in the winners circle because he didn't quit.

I think as more stories are shared you will see that throughout the Penton organization there were good men that were dedicated and filled with that never quit attitude.  Paul Danik is one of these and I feel fortunate to know him.  I hope that he and others like him will continue to come to the competition side of Vintage because they are great competitors and help make our sport legitimate.  The future will see some National Championships in the Penton Corral and Paul Danik could easily be one of them.

Never, never, quit.

Paul Danik

Larry,
   Thanks for the kind words.  I have to mention a guy who took the time to help me out when I was learning to ride offroad on a 150 Honda Dream. Bob Augustine, Augie to eveybody, was a semi-retired racer when I met him. He and his wife Sandie had operated a Jawa and BMW dealership for a few years and knew of John Penton by way of his BMW exploits.  Augie encouraged me to get a Penton when they came out and we rode many local events together.  He had many encouraging sayings that often were used on me, such as,"the slower you go the faster you are", that was after I would pass him on a straight and crash in the turn. The most often used phrase was, " If your gonna be dumb you better be tuff", I heard that all the time!!!! Without Augie and Sandie I might still be welding overlay sprockets to that old Dream.  
    Augie and my son Chad rode the trials together at Mid-Ohio three years ago.  I was busy at the POG tent. Chad ran up and was all excited, both he and Augie had won their classes. Augie had rode with a perfect score for the day, no points lost.  As I took their picture together with their plaques, I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye, as I recalled that Augie had taught me and now was teaching my son. Less than 24 hours later, Augie was dead. He had a massive heart attack  during the MX at Mid-Ohio.  Augie knew of his condition but wanted to ride the AHRMA circut one season and win a champions jacket for him and one for Sandie, then he was going to park his big 500cc ESO Scrambler in the livingroom. He was well on his way to those championships when he passed away. He went out the way he would have wanted to, boots and helmet on.
God Speed My Friend.