More kids smoking

Started by Ernie Phillips, August 30, 2011, 07:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

"(Thad) DuVall became the last of the top Pros to make the switch to a two-stroke and borrowed a Yamaha YZ250 to race in the Ohio event and the move was obviously a good one."

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/off-road/2011/08/28/fahringer-makes-it-three-in-a-row-in-ohio/

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

tooclose racing

Hello Ernie! How about Nick's effort?  3 wins in three races since he switched to the Hooser 300 two stroke.

"Pass the pipe...I'd like some smoke" [8D]

I hope Santa Claus brings me one of those next year.

Hope all is well with you and your new clear power endeavors.

Ernie Phillips

Hey Bob,  All's good on this end.  I was surprised at Thad's jump to a YZ250 - - that is a tiny MX bike!  Just goes to show that the modern two-stroke is still a force to reckon with.  I'm guessing, but without KTM's continued 2-stroke development and winning ways, we'd all be stuck on 4-strokes if we wanted something new.

Speaking of YZ250's, we are rebuilding Christopher's 2001.  We got it a couple of seasons ago from a hard riding friend who got if from a fast AA rider.  Well used, I'd say.  Anyway, we were going to freshen it up with a new piston.  Upon disassembly, we found the  rod bearing loose.  I did a little research and found a brand new Wiesco crankshaft kit with main bearings and bottom end gasket set $166.  New piston and top end gasket set and replate of cylinder $248.  We'll have a new motor for less than $500.  That is sooooo cheap ...  It was an easy rebuild too.   (Christopher would prefer to ride something newer and  orange, but he is a poor college kid and his dad is too cheap)

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Gary Roach

Any guesses on how much it will cost to fix the bike in this video?

http://vimeo.com/32887596

G Ellis

My guess is more than the bike is worth.... 3500.00

Dwight Rudder

I personally think that the "MODERN" 4stroke is a joke. Nothing like the torque monsters that we used to run like the BSA B50, Yamaha TT500, Honda XRs, etc. Maybe they didn't have the pure Horsepower but they had massive torque and just required a different riding style. I proved that for years on my Hondas. Bet you never saw a 50hp CR250 outrun a 38hp XR600.  Those torque monster air cooled machines not only were fun to ride but lasted much longer that today's 4strokes.