Thinking of selling '74 Penton 125 Six Days

Started by motochris, December 19, 2005, 01:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motochris

I bought this for a play bike for the wife, she decided she would rather have an offroad golf cart. I was gonna list it on EBAY, but thought I'de ask what you guys thought it was worth. Needs a carb rebuild, but still runs good with some fiddling. Suprisingly fast. Shifts fine. Looks to have an aftermarket pipe of some type, big carb, '75 swingarm(?), upper shock mounts relocated, someone who knew something built this bike. Has original CA. title, plus a bunch of Penton service manuals and more. The rear fender is now broken, not shown in pics. Hasn't really been messed with in many years. Here's a link to some pics. http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1478299

Rocket

How much and where are you located?  I am interested in the bike.
Rocket

motochris

Ya know....I'm clueless as far as what to ask. It's located in Ridgecrest Ca. I'm a Maico guy myself, and would KILL to find a Maico in this kinda shape. It really is a nice bike.

Rocket

Motochris
Do you have a daytime phone number that I can give you a call?  Is Ridgecrest located in the southern part of CA?
My home email is; [email protected]
thanks
Rocket

motochris

Wow, this sounds incredible, but I race with a guy with the same last name as the guy named on the 1974 title. Just for giggles, I emailed him and asked if he knew anyone by that name. He said it's his BROTHER! I just emailed him to see if his brother would want the bike back, so I REALLY have to wait and see.
Can you imagine getting back a favorite bike you bought new back in the day? What are the chances?

Paul Danik

Chris,
  With all due respect I would request a DNA matchup from the grips on the bike and the person who claims to be the original owner:D  A guy just can't be too careful![:o)]

Neat story!
Paul

motochris

Yea, if I didn't have the guys middle name and everything, there'd be room to say it might not be him. It's still just blowing me away that it's a guy I know's brother that bought it new. What are the friggin' odds?

Gavin Housh

Chris, the bike is worth two grand or more. Don't let it get away for less. Gavin

thrownchain

Hey chris what size and year Maico you looking for?I found a 1970 400 in pretty decent condition. has Akront rims, stainless spokes,a few Hallman parts, but it doesnt have spark. If I keep it Im going to put on a new ignition. But hey we could work something out, I ve never been to Ca.

motochris

The only Maico I'm currently looking for is a 74.5 GP400.

thrownchain

motochris

OK, here's the update. I finally spoke with the original owner. Turns out he is the guy that did all the mods to the bike. Back in the 70's, he was the "main motor guy" at Bassani. Thats why the bike has that sweet cone pipe on it. It was made personally by him. The pipe was made for a fellow named Bruce McDougal, who apparently was a factory racer guy. The motor in this Penton is a clone of McDougals race motor, which is why the pipe was put on it. Kinda explains why it's so fast. I'm guessing gear for gear, it'll hang with my 76 Maico 250.
So he's asking me all about the bike....does it still have THIS? Does it still have THAT? etc. Seems like the bike is still in the same condition as when he sold it, which amazes me. We think it may still have the same set of tires on it! Basically, we talked about the 'good ol days' of Penton and racing in general for quite awhile. Very nice guy, and still into bikes as well. He currently has the first DKW that he purchased new, and would like to have the Penton back as well. So it looks like the bike will be returned to it's original owner. Full circle.....how sweet.

John Doud

A fellow named Bruce McDougal...I like that. Neat bike and great story!

For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required. Luke 12:48

motochris

OK, here's the update. I finally spoke with the original owner. Turns out he is the guy that did all the mods to the bike. Back in the 70's, he was the "main motor guy" at Bassani. Thats why the bike has that sweet cone pipe on it. It was made personally by him. The pipe was made for a fellow named Bruce McDougal, who apparently was a factory racer guy. The motor in this Penton is a clone of McDougals race motor, which is why the pipe was put on it. Kinda explains why it's so fast. I'm guessing gear for gear, it'll hang with my 76 Maico 250.
So he's asking me all about the bike....does it still have THIS? Does it still have THAT? etc. Seems like the bike is still in the same condition as when he sold it, which amazes me. We think it may still have the same set of tires on it! Basically, we talked about the 'good ol days' of Penton and racing in general for quite awhile. Very nice guy, and still into bikes as well. He currently has the first DKW that he purchased new, and would like to have the Penton back as well. So it looks like the bike will be returned to it's original owner. Full circle.....how sweet.

John Doud

A fellow named Bruce McDougal...I like that. Neat bike and great story!