dkw vs sachs

Started by gooddirt, November 20, 2005, 02:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

Does anyone know if production date frame numbers on the dkw are the same as on the sachs, or did they use different numbers? Were the frames made in the same factory? To be PURE can I use a dkw frame and call it a sachs ?

wolfmanonapenton

:DYes they are both sachs cycles and are both built at the same factory! they 'ey changed the name from sachs to dkw around 1971 and were hot little bikes the Brooks brothers rode'em so did'nt Preston Petty and alot of desert aces,agood runnin DEEK" will give any sachs powerd machine protest depending on set up? I have three DKW's and hope I've helped? basically only ever werethree models and all they ever changed was pipe cylinders and forks shape of tank and colors and stickers and ignitions,some of the cylinder porting on those sachs /DEEK bikes was hotter on the iron barrel cylinders than what some of the other sachs machines had at the time!Could'nt wheelie to well with the heavy front end though,thats why they started putting Betors on their Dkws ?need help on parts let me know?[8D]

Rain Man

Ooh Boy, your touching a nerve here guys.  The guru's from the beutiful state of Ohio could fill you in more on this subject.  
   All I know is papa John got a bit upset with the sachs  boys in Germany, when they started importing the Sachs brand of motorcycles back in 1969.  Something to do with sales of the Penton 125 six day, and a conflict of interest...
  The result was Sachs changing there imported bikes name to DKW.
   Im no historian, and I wish I knew more of this story...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

john durrill

Gooddirt,
 send Leo Keller an e-mail. He is a Sachs , DKW collector. He is on the members list , has a data base on frame #'s and knows a great deal about Sachs history.
John D.

terry

Hello Gooddirt. I have a few new NOS DKW parts in stock. Please contact me at my web site.   //www.pentonmotorcycles.com

Thanks
PENTON Motorcycles
Terry Everett/Ohio

dkwkid

O.K. I know a little bit about this subject.Papa John had little to do with the name change at the Nurnberg works.Corporate shuffling of assets in the Sachs group caused the name change.Zweirad Union became the group building DKW motorcycles(known as Hercules in other parts of the world).
 As far as the frames go, there were differences in the seat and rear frame loop from year to year.69 and 70 had a narrow loop and seat which had a hinge on the back bolted to the rear fender.I believe in 71 the seat was a bolt on with a long loop on the frame. the last generation had a wider seat and a short loop in the rear of the frame.
Also the shock mounts on the swing arm change from generation to generation.
 Yes, you can mix parts from year to year as far as engines and gas tanks but certain things will not fit.
 During the production run various gussets were added in weak areas where the frame might crack.One area needs special attention-the steering head. It WILL crack at the lower end if the tube.If you vintage race a Deek you should weld a strap across the lower part of the steering head.Trust me on this one.
 Sorry guys for the Deek rundown on the Penton forum!
P.S. When I was in the Army I was stationed a mile away from the Factory in Nurnberg.I never thought to take a tour!

Rocketman

I rember really yanking on the bars to loft the front wheel on my brothers 80cc Sachs with Earles front end. Wish I could find that bike.

Lord, please let me be more like the person my dog thinks I am.
72 Six-Days

Rain Man

Now the Saga continues. I was looking at some old Hercules pictures and low and behold, if that particular model Hercules dosen't look just like my 1969 Sachs, Earles front end & all

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

flattracker23

I just picked up a 1969 Sachs Cross Country 100 and a 1971 Sachs 125.

Spencer Gaydon
Lubbock, TX

1968 Penton Six-Day 125 Steel Tanker (V 774)
1968 Penton Six-Day 125 Steel Tanker (V 1194)
1972 Penton / Wassell Mudlark Trials Bike (W 397 ST)

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Rain Man

Now the Saga continues. I was looking at some old Hercules pictures and low and behold, if that particular model Hercules dosen't look just like my 1969 Sachs, Earles front end & all

Raymond
 Down East Pentons

The DKW was used in differend Nations.But they where identically with Hercules,and build at the same plant.
Speedy-------->>>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS