Rim Woes!

Started by KJDonovan, December 21, 2005, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

All,

I just received a beautiful set of NOS Radelli rims for my 72 Piner right diameter, correct spoke hole layout...Just one problem, they are wider than the originals.  My original set were 2.4" wide.  These are 2.7" wide.  Anyone have any idea if these will work or will I get jammed up further down the road?

Thanks in advance!

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

cubfan1968

Kevin, where did you buy the rims?

Rod Whitman
1972 6 Day (Rider)
1972 6 Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

KJDonovan

Rod,

I got the rims from Domi Racer.  They were the last set he had hanging around, he had ordered them for a Puch a long, long time ago and the person who ordered them never picked them up.  I'm still not sure if I can use them though.

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

john durrill

KD,
The orignal Rims should have  W followed by a # on them. The front rim's were W1's the rears I believe in the 72 175's were W2's
 Look close at the ones you have and see if they have  a W # stamped on them. If you have a W3 X18 it might let the rear tire rub on the chain guard. The front if its a W2 X 21 may work but you can run into the same trouble with the fork sliders. The wider rims will let the tire side walls move out and closer to the bikes parts.
 Hope this was some help,
 John D.

Rain Man

okay, I'll tell you what I've got, and it works fine on my 73 JP.
 the front radelli 36 spoke rim measures 2.330" on the outside contour, I have a perelli 80/100-21 tire that works fantastic on clay rocks roots and more rocks.
  The rear, is a radelli 36 spoke rim and it measures 2.7 " on the outside contour. I have a Perelli 110/100-18, and it stays straight on clay, rocks and roots and can out run anybodies bike thats willing to line up on my minute [}:)]

I had to grind some of the knobbies off the side of the rear to compensate for the larger tire (the smallest available from perelli)
  a small price to pay to have all that traction,  and a great European tyre.
 Cheers

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

sixdazed

Hi Kevin,i have just acquired a puch that needs rims-not bad just a bit of chrome peeling.maybe i got it the puch from the guy that ordered your rims!NAAAHH!anyway,if you want to sell them please let me know.OR, i think i have a set of 73 piner wheels with d.i.d.s or shoulderless akronts-i'll have to look. my 72 piner also has radelli's which are pretty ugly.i have heard a rumor that buchannons can straighten and rechrome these rims but it is rumor only at this point.i'll let you know if and when i find out for sure.but if you want to sell those rims i have a puch that would love them!thanks,and Happy New Years To All,  Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

KJDonovan

Rod,

I got the rims from Domi Racer.  They were the last set he had hanging around, he had ordered them for a Puch a long, long time ago and the person who ordered them never picked them up.  I'm still not sure if I can use them though.

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

john durrill

KD,
The orignal Rims should have  W followed by a # on them. The front rim's were W1's the rears I believe in the 72 175's were W2's
 Look close at the ones you have and see if they have  a W # stamped on them. If you have a W3 X18 it might let the rear tire rub on the chain guard. The front if its a W2 X 21 may work but you can run into the same trouble with the fork sliders. The wider rims will let the tire side walls move out and closer to the bikes parts.
 Hope this was some help,
 John D.

Rain Man

okay, I'll tell you what I've got, and it works fine on my 73 JP.
 the front radelli 36 spoke rim measures 2.330" on the outside contour, I have a perelli 80/100-21 tire that works fantastic on clay rocks roots and more rocks.
  The rear, is a radelli 36 spoke rim and it measures 2.7 " on the outside contour. I have a Perelli 110/100-18, and it stays straight on clay, rocks and roots and can out run anybodies bike thats willing to line up on my minute [}:)]

I had to grind some of the knobbies off the side of the rear to compensate for the larger tire (the smallest available from perelli)
  a small price to pay to have all that traction,  and a great European tyre.
 Cheers

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

sixdazed

Hi Kevin,i have just acquired a puch that needs rims-not bad just a bit of chrome peeling.maybe i got it the puch from the guy that ordered your rims!NAAAHH!anyway,if you want to sell them please let me know.OR, i think i have a set of 73 piner wheels with d.i.d.s or shoulderless akronts-i'll have to look. my 72 piner also has radelli's which are pretty ugly.i have heard a rumor that buchannons can straighten and rechrome these rims but it is rumor only at this point.i'll let you know if and when i find out for sure.but if you want to sell those rims i have a puch that would love them!thanks,and Happy New Years To All,  Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

cubfan1968

Kevin, what the status of the rims? I've purchased some from Walridge Motors so I've checked your post pretty close to maybe save me some headaches down the road.

Question to the membership. What can I expect to pay to get the rims relaced?

Rod Whitman
1972 6 Day (Rider)
1972 6 Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Rain Man

I relaced and trued up 5 of these radelli rims now and one question I have to ask ??  Is the big "Kalump" around the welds acceptable ??  
I don't see any noticeable difference with my  JP's wheels  other than the tire  runout hitting the chain guard.  Thats easily remedied with a 4" grinder on the outer knobbies.
  Oh ya, now that I got a "feel" for  trueing rims up, does anybody got the directions on truinng up wheels ??
  maybe nows the time to read them [8D]

Always Always a mystery needing to be solved with restorations!!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

KJDonovan

cubfan,

The status of the new rims is on hold.  I am trying to restore to this bike for show, so I sure that Rays suggestion of just grinding off the side knobs on the rear wheel to clear the chain guard would work, it's not the look I am shooting for.  So for the time being I have blasted my old rims, tig welded a few gashes and sanded them smooth.  Next week I am sending them out for re-chrome.  So for now I'll just shelf the new set.  Alternatively, I have been mulling over the idea of trying to find a dent free steel tank to trade them for.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

dkwkid

I don't know about you guys back East but out here in the desert the Radelli rims were junk. They were the softest rims to be put on a bike.Made from the finest Italian pot metal available.Yamaha rims were cheaper and quite a bit tougher than the Radelli,s.Remember, noboby rode a Penton stock any longer than they could afford to.:D

Chakka

Are you talking about Yamaha DID rims? Or the earlier chrome rims on the DT models? Is the drill patter similar? That's pretty interesting and could open up some options.
Chakka