Marzocchi 35mm Slider Color

Started by Chakka, December 18, 2005, 02:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

Anyone have a good match suggestion for that odd color greenish yellow on the lower sliders of my Marzocchi 35mm Forks? An early set I have is black. The later set I have, is for lack of a better description, olive colored.

firstturn

Bead blast them for a nice silver color.  You can then clear coat them if you like.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

From a conversation I had earlier in the week with a credible Pogger,   Chakka, they were originally gold in color. The ones I have on my bench are off a 76 mc250, and the gold shows up underneath the dust boot.
 I kinda like Rons idea of bead blasting and clear coating.
    And i'm color blind :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

firstturn

I like the gold for show, but I find that I like the natural for a rider.  Just my take.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Chakka

Thanks Guys.
I will have to ponder this one for a while. I like the look of aluminim sliders but also like to finish bikes as close to original as I can. I would have never guessed that was gold. Mine have discolored to a shade far away from gold on the color scale.

Big Mac

Below the dust covers and stickers on a '77 original bike I got, the sliders looked to have been an oddball light aircraft-looking greenish/goldish. I looked through a few auto-touchup paint racks for some similar color, finally gave up and spray-bombed with a gold color.

The sliders are magnesium, so finish with something to keep moisture out to avoid problems. Also, over tightening on the large side axle clamp caused a lot of these to crack and be pretty well irreparable, so wise to go gentle.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

wolfmanonapenton

Well said Big Mac! Some of those forks not factory ones that came on the Pentons,but some of the aftermarket kits were kinda a greenish,titanium color or natural mag nesium just clearcoated?When ever I have taken the front wheel from my bikes with the leading axle Zokes orCerianis,leave axle loose in wheel and forks spin several times and clinch front brakes then just snub the pinch bolts,then tighten axle nut last!By spinning several times loose and clinching the brakes your letting wheel find comfortable spots,where it hopefully will decrease the chance of working on a bind ,and let it be where it rides comfortably before tightening?I've always done this on all my bikes and never had a problem!:D

wolfmanonapenton

Well said Big Mac! Some of those forks not factory ones that came on the Pentons,but some of the aftermarket kits were kinda a greenish,titanium color or natural mag nesium just clearcoated?When ever I have taken the front wheel from my bikes with the leading axle Zokes orCerianis,leave axle loose in wheel and forks spin several times and clinch front brakes then just snub the pinch bolts,then tighten axle nut last!By spinning several times loose and clinching the brakes your letting wheel find comfortable spots,where it hopefully will decrease the chance of working on a bind ,and let it be where it rides comfortably before tightening?I've always done this on all my bikes and never had a problem!:D