Engine number

Started by chuck, January 06, 2006, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck

I'm looking at a 1973 250 Harescramble with the engine number 64 30 003 010.  I could not find anything in the engine number article on the POG web site that made any sense with this number.  The 10 digit engine number doesn't look right. Is this a 1973 engine or possible something else?

Thanks,

Chuck
72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

Rain Man

Chuck, check the number again,  There hard to read. Maybe a magnifying glass will help.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

chuck

Unfortunately, the bike is 2,000 miles away. I'm thinking the 64 is supposed to be 54? I'll ask the owner to recheck.

Chuck
72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

rd400pi

Chuck,
  Yes, I would agree the number should start with a 54 but, sounds like you are looking at the part number off of an engine part.  I don't have my parts book here right now or I'd look it up for you.  Anyway, follow the POG site description of where to find the actual engine ID numbers.  You will find a simple serial number on each side of the cases under the cylinder fins.  The biggie is the clock casting below the countershaft sprocket.  It will point to a month and have the year in the center.  Please read the POG description as I am not near a motor right now to check.  Good luck.

Mike H.
  [email protected]