Tire sizes

Started by tbrand, January 21, 2006, 02:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrand

I am new to this site but have watching it for quite awhile. I recently aquired a 74 250 Harescrambler that I am restoring. I want it to ride. I want it to look nice but but it doesn't need to be a museum piece. The tires I want to replace are a 300/21 and a 400/18. What are the correct metric size I should get to replace them? Also I need new sprockets and chain. It has a 13 countershaft and a 52 rear sprocket on it now. Anyone know where I can get new sprockets?
Any help would be appreciated.

tacrac

Welcome and good luck on the rebuild. When its done we need pictures.

As far as parts, go to the POG home page and go to the Suppliers link. Al B. and Terry Everett both have parts I believe

good Luck
Ron C

Lew Mayer

Go to the "Search" heading and put in "tire size". There have been some good discussions in the past on tire sizes and conversion charts.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tbrand

Thanks for the replys. I did the search and found a lot of info on the tire sizes. At least I know what to look for now.

Dwight Rudder

The best working and best looking tires for this bike are the Pirelli MT16 GaraCross.  Similar in design to the Motocross / Enduro Metzeler.
But actually works better.  The 300X21 is now called the 80/100X21 and the 400X18 is now called a 110/100X18.
I have this tire on several of my vintage bikes and still use this tire on my modern KTMs.  Looks vintage, works modern.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

rob w

There is really no common sizing method between brands.

If going with Michelin, a  130 x 18 rear is good for 250's & 400's.

Note: the Michelin 140 x 18 is too wide to fit on that model.

Sprockets- from H&H KTM World / Barry Higgins.

Rain Man

Thanks for saying that Dwight [8D]  Since I've gotten back into the Penton thing I've removed at least 12 metzlers and replaced them with... Perelli MT16 tires.
   They work great on the root infested, rock strewn, mud pits with clay uphills way up here in the Northeast.
  I know that tire works good where I ride at, and Dwight lives at least 1500 miles from New England. So conditions must be similar.
  I cant say how this particular tire performs in the Western part of the country, under different circumstances.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons