front sprocket removal

Started by Jim A, July 27, 2007, 02:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim A

I am a new Penton owner, 72 Berkshire. I know, I need to get a manual
but in the mean time how does the front sprocket come off? The nut is removed but the sprocket won't budge. Is it threaded on or just a spline fit that may be stuck from corrosion? Thanks for any info or suggestions. It is a 12 tooth, would like to go to 13 to keep the chain a little higher up from the swingarm.
Thanks,
       Jim

Jim A
Jim A

Ron

Hi Jim,
The sprocket is on a tapered shaft without a keyway. I use a 3 jaw puller on mine and I always put a socket on the end of the shaft to protect it. It should pop-of without to much effort.
Good luck,
RonW

Jim A

Ron,
 Thanks for the advice. I did as you suggested, it popped of after
considerable effort. Now to wait for everyone to return from Mid Ohio to place an order.
Regards,
          Jim

Jim A
Jim A

Ron

Hi Jim,
Great news, sometimes sprockets can be a bear.
I guess you know a larger (13T) sprocket, in addition to raising the chain up off the swingarm is also going change your overall gearing. Your going to lose some low speed pulling and gain some top speed.
I have a 73 125cc Six-Days. I was running a 14T x 57T combo and finding 1st gear to low for most corners and 2nd to high.
Some of the other guys on the board have recomended the 13T x 60T combo for Motocross, hopefully I won't have to use 1st at all.
I'm just putting the finishing touches on my bike and hope to ride it in next week or two. I'm a pretty big guy (225lbs), so I'll post how the gearing works out as soon as I can.
Have fun, RonW

Jim A

Thanks Ron,
 I'm trying make a rider out of this Berkshire. This is the one Brad
of Brad's Bikes had for sale. The 12/57 combo makes 1st gear useless plus I can hear the chain rattling across the swingarm when I roll it. Where are rear sprockets available? The listed suppliers have every thing else I need but I see no mention of rear sprockets for the small bikes. The one on the bike is usable and is a PBI. I prefer to change both sprockets and chain at the same time if possible. Thanks for any info.
         Jim A.

Jim A
Jim A

Ron

Jim,
Buehners' has them, he's in the suppliers list. You'll have to call them, but he'll get it out the same day if you call early enough.
RonW