"Supertrap" on an Ace Pipe...

Started by DKWRACER, February 02, 2006, 06:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

Had something in mind when the new unit was under construction. How am I gonna convert Andy's pipe to USFS standards? Well rummaging thru an old box marked exhaust, I found an old Supertrap, luckey enough, the OD of the cylinder fit right into the opening left by the OEM guts being removed. Pictured are the internals of Andy's pipe, it is the left item. I suppose you could de-braze the perforated sound deadener and re-install along with the packing. Also found the length to be near 8 3/4 in. I had an old internal baffle that measured 8 7/8 in. and stuffed the whole wad back into the end and inserted the Supertrap stack onto the end, whoa it fits! Will prolly weld some blind nuts and secure with 6mm bolts and finish off with black RTV.
Of course I couldn't resist the temptation to show a few pics of the new GS 175...Thanks G.Ellis for the Duplicolor Pewter for the engine cases, and to D. Jones for the Duplicolor Cast Aluminum used on the forks and triple-tree....Now for the paint on the fenders and cosmetics, who knows, maybe sumpum for RR/06....Still dreaming, adios.
Tom Brosius
http://cone.viawest.net/users/dkwracer/trapp/
Thomas Brosius

socalmx

Just a passing comment...the SuperTrapp on a two stroke requires more frequent cleaning due to the disc design....if possible find yourself an old Krizman-JR silencer/spark arrestor.

Chakka

That's a nice set up Tom. So funny because I was reading an old Lectron test and the featured Penton a 77 ISDT Bike had a Supertrap on it. I immediatly went to Google and found thier site. It seems like they don't have just ends like they used to but I will follow with an email. It looks very nice on the bike. Oh BTW, your motor arrived yesterday, I am going to unload it in a few mins. Thanks so much for helping me piece together this bike, I am starting it this weekend. I really apprieciate your help.
Chakka

Mike Horton

Hey guys - my JP came with a suoertrap end and it works great. Checked out the site and found the universal end is what is on my bike. The price is only $ 55 and it meets spark arrestor requirements and can be adjusted to comply with sound. Such a deal.

Mike

Gavin Housh

I had a super trap on my six day some years back. I welded a tab on it and the used a rubber isolator to try to keep it from self distructing. It didn't work. During a race it cracked the weld on the stinger and the pipe has been hanging on the wall ever since. I realy liked that silencer though . It was very quiet and you can adjust the number of discs to get the right back pressure. Try oven cleaner to clean the discs. They are made of what appears to be stainless steel so don't worry about the cleaner eating up the metal. Gavin

dkwkid

Supertrap spark arrestors were the "macintosh" of the silencer world. The discs clogged up and if you lost the nut on the end the discs would fliter off down the trail! For a two stroke the Krizman type flows the best, dosent fall apart.
P.S. the same people brought you the Exdusor round spinning disc silencer. Another winner!

gthong

wow.. reading that thread was a trip down memory lane.. I haven't heard of those silencers since I REALLY rode in the 70's!!   exduser?  seems the only one that survived is the super trap.

my 250 has a SKYWAY..another blast from the past...

DKWRACER

Hi poggers, just made a few changes to clean-up the install, instead of going inside Andy's pipe with the stub, I found a muffler piece that fit inside the Trapp endpiece, then cut the pipe where the diameter was the same. As you see, the endcap now fits on the outside and blind nuts were welded on the inside. Also included was a spooge deflector which is spaced away abit from the housing so as not to block the gas outflow. Don't want no spooge on my new fender etc....Anyway, have fun and adios for now [8D]
Tom....
Thomas Brosius