Shock Absorber Guru's

Started by Bob Seymour, February 15, 2006, 09:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Seymour

I am still plodding away on restoring my 79 KTM 250MC and need some input from the experts regarding some questions I have about the rear shocks on this bike. It has a pair of Marzocchi's with the integral nitrogen cannister. On the underside of each cannister where the schrader valve is located there is a decal that says VG-4 65. I am guessing this is the style and or model. They are sort of a off gold color with black and red springs. They appear to be in really good shape but neither have a nitrogen charge and one seems to have minimum to no dampening.  How much and what kind of oil should these shocks take? And how much of a nitrogen recharge should they get? There is a small screw at  the top of the shock body. Is this where you replenish the oil?  All advice and input is greatly appreciated.

Kip Kern

Contact Rod "Rocket" Gorzny in this group.  He is the Marzocchi Master;)

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
I've got a pair of 13" Marzocchi piggybacks that I'm going to rebuild. What kind of oil should I use for them ?? Will ATF work or should I stick with some 2.5 or 5 weight fork oil. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !!
Dave McCullough

DKWRACER

Hi Dave, I use Silkolene 5w RST, others may chime in...Tom...
Thomas Brosius