Fat bars?

Started by wildman, February 23, 2006, 12:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

Has anyone converted their Penton to the oversized "fat handlebars"? I have a 75 250 with the 35mm Ceriani forks and I was considering going to this type because they are supossed to reduce shock and vibration. Obviously not "vintage" but for racing I think this might be a good thing. I see various conversion clamps that go over the stock 7/8 lower clamp and raise it up about 3/4in. for the 1 1/8 bar. What I'd like to know is how well they fit the Penton top triple clamp, hopefully without modifying anything permanetly. Also, what bend and rise works best to replace the quite high stock bar. I like the H--da CR-Hi on my other newer bikes. Hope I don't offend any purist out there, but if my bike is more comfortable I'll be able to ride it more.Thanks, Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Lew Mayer

Something to consider is using "Bar Snake" in your stock bars for vibration. Just a thought.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Dwight Rudder

There is no real advantage to "FAT" bars over 7/8s bars.  If you want non crossbar look for a set of used or NOS InterAm solid aluminum bars.
These have more flex for less fatigue.  I even replaced my 2003 KTM bars with 7/8s bars.   I finally found a rise and bend in the 1 1/8" "FAT" bar that I like.  I didn't like giving up the crossbar as it was a good place to mount instruments.
Stay vintage,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

t20sl

I agree with Dwight.  If you want more flex try and find some Inter-ams.  I used those on my bikes from 1975 thru 1988.  Same pair on about 8 different bikes.  Never bent the pair.  Those were stronger than anything since in my opinion.  I use the very best I can find now in aluminum with crossbar and probably bend at least one set a year just by clipping a tree without even falling sometimes.  Only problem with the Inter-ams were they were extremely wide to accomodate the large radius' in the bends.  About 34" was as narrow as you could find or cut down to.  Ted

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

I agree with Dwight.  If you want more flex try and find some Inter-ams.  I used those on my bikes from 1975 thru 1988.  Same pair on about 8 different bikes.  Never bent the pair.  Those were stronger than anything since in my opinion.  I use the very best I can find now in aluminum with crossbar and probably bend at least one set a year just by clipping a tree without even falling sometimes.  Only problem with the Inter-ams were they were extremely wide to accomodate the large radius' in the bends.  About 34" was as narrow as you could find or cut down to.  Ted

I have still the solid bar I raced in the ISDT in Austria in stock.
If you interestet let me know.
[email protected]
Speedy--->>>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.

socalmx

If you do go with the InterAm bars, make sure that you radius the clamping surfaces. This will eliminate the possibility of the bars snapping at those contact points. FYI, I used the foam filler designed for windows, etc. to provide dampening on my steel handlebars.

wildman

How ironic! I had previously had this bike set-up for ice racing, lowered and down-piped, with a set of alum. inter-am non-braced handlebars. Took them off when restoring to dirt style. They are hanging on my shop wall now as an exhibit. What an excellent idea! I'll look at the bend and width and see if they are dirt track style or MX. And they're vintage too. Outstanding! Thank you so much for the great ideas, guys. I realized that fat bars would look ugly on an old bike and didn't really want to do it that way but I needed better bars in any case. My old chrome unit is rusty and slightly bent.  I do need bars that can be cut to about 30-31in. wide as I ride on the Michigan trails with lots of trees. Adding brush guards adds another bit of width. I was also looking at Renthal "vintage" bend, right rise and sweep, but with a crossbar. I've had a simular pair on my RMX for 15yrs and never bent them, maybe cushioning the bike with my body helps;)   Thanks again, Wildman

Big Mac

I'm running InterAm solid alum bars on my '77 MC5. Work great, look a bit strange, like Texas Long Horns since they're much taller than modern no-crossbrace bars. But good for us tall guys, and if I was worried about looks I'd take a bath and go on a diet.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR