Speaking of Champions...Steve Wise

Started by firstturn, February 06, 2006, 12:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

I thought some may be interested in the Bio of Steve Wise from the AMA Hall of Fame.  Penton was his ride of choice in the early days.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=295

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

EdY

Cool!  Thanks, Ron.  The Motorcycle Hall of Fame web site is becoming a great historical resource.  They are compiling a huge amount of information about the men and women who are members of the Hall of Fame.  To the greatest extent, you can thank a journalist and researcher named Larry Lawrence.  Larry is writing those bios, and doing a great job, in my opinion.  I turn to this site quite often for historical research.

Ed Y.

firstturn

Ed Y,
  Thank you for bring up the site as a research tool.  It is neat to be able to look back at your favorite Racer or other important people to the Sport of Motorcycling.  After all it is OUR HISTORY and the more WE preserve it the better it will be for generations after us.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thanks, that was really great. Steve is a great racer and like many others his accomplishments do not do him justice. They are greater racrs than their results tell. On top of all that a great guy too!
Any idea what he is doing theses days?

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  He lives in the very Southern tip of Texas in McAllen with his Family.  He is involved with real estate and normally leads our Prayers if ask at the races he attends.  He and his Father are true people and Steve really proved himself in many forms of racing.  Also, he has a Son who in involved in acting and has been on several TV sitcoms as a regular.  So the Wise boys are truely talented in a lot of area.  I will always remember that Steve never has spoken about his success that he always rememberd to thanks his Father for all the help, backing and believing in him.  His Father was right...the record speaks for itself.  Thanks for asking Thom.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Steve Wise

Hey Ron & Guys,
Reading your post brings back so many great memories of my racing days and especially those riding my Penton.  Thanks again for the fun.  I'll be checking in more often with you guys and maybe we can stir Ron up for a night we can all get together and shot the bull about those Penton days.  Best wishes to you all,
Steve Wise

Rocket

Steve
I remember you coming to the Peoria TT and riding an MX bike.  You made quite an impression on the flattrack community that day with your riding style.  I was cheering you on.
Rocket

firstturn

Rocket and All,
  Previous to Peoria the first race of the year was in the Astrodome.  It was a real problem for AMA since they let Steve cross the lines of Pro ranks to compete in Cass C.  It also was probably on of the Great Races I have ever seen or will ever see.  Steve was passing two or three people at a time in the air.  Class C guys had never seen anything like this nor had the Astrodome crowd.

It was great for me since it happened in my home town area, I was working for Team Honda, and I had my Mentor (Woody Leone) with me to watch the race.  Since he was winning Class C state Championships since the late 1930's I was waiting for his response to this new bike and rider.  To my surprise he said..."you have just witness one of the Greatest TT Races of all times and it will be good for Racing."

Memories......thanks Rocket.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Ron, To my regret, I had never seen Steve race. I grew up in the San Jose/bay area. And as  a kid would go to the San Jose mile and Half mile. There was a guy down the street that had race at Ascot on a and then there was Halls ranch which was in the foot hills near by. They ran TT races and we use to go and watch him and some of his friends race on those big Thriumphs.AS we got alittle older he races less and less but it was the fuel that lead me and his boys to set up race courses on the street and we would race our stingrays for hours on end. It amazed me how fast they could go on bikes that had once been street bikes, later when we got dirt bikes it fuel our racing. All that came rushing back as I watched the TT race at Speed world in pheonix last week. Some how the racing did not seem to be all that fast but that probably has more to do with me than those that were racing. After all, until last week it had been 35 years since I had seen that kind of racing.
Steve, nice to hear from you. May the Lord bless you and your family, thanks for letting us all see that it is possible to be a great guy and fast on a motorcycle. Too often arrogance and fast seem to go hand in hand. As you know confindence and arrogance are not the same thing... confindence is built on knowing your abilities, hard work and experience mixed with a generous portion of Thankfullness for your gifts and those who got you there. Arrogance on the other hand is built on a inflated view of our abilities and contempt for everyone else around us.  .... I get off my soap box now:)

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Welcome Steve!! God has really blessed you! I remember you most for your flat tracking,which is close to my heart.Did you ever get to flat track a PENTON?

Ron, Thanks for the education class on this great rider.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

bentrims

I saw Steve in the Daytona race from a cool view...sitting with teamate Jeff Ward while we watched teamate Eddie Lawson rip it up. The speed was awesome. I will never forget my wife looking at me and saying if you ever roadrace I will leave you!
Steve Rocked. Even on an infield excursion he was ready to take on the elements. Moto experience at its best!
Rick823m I hope that aint bragging.
Tom Benolkin

Steve Wise

Hey guys, Boy those were great days doing that TT stuff in the Dome & Peoria.  In the Dome I had a stock 480 that we had to lower the compression on so I wouldn't stall the motor in the slow turns and it help hook up by slowing down the power band.  Peoria was hard because the front straight is so so so long.  Those Harley's would fly buy me down that straight, then I would work my tail off trying to pass them on the jump or the tight stuff.  I think I placed 7th, but I'm not sure.  Well, what fun times they were.  Wish ya'll the best.
Steve Wise