Auction Sniper?

Started by Mike OReilly, March 18, 2006, 12:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike OReilly

This is further to a question that I asked on another post but didn't get an answer.
What is Auction Sniper? Some kind of an automated program that someone is using? I lost something recently at the very end, by exactly $1 over an odd number. Was it good timing by someone or is there more?
Any info. would be appreciated.
Mike

Bob

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike OReilly
What is Auction Sniper? Some kind of an automated program that someone is using?
Yes there are snipe programs that bid automatically in the last ten seconds of the auction or less. They are ethical in my eyes because in the end it is the person who bids the greatest amount that wins. Being beaten by exactly $1 is not related to the snipe program. Ebay does proxy bidding for you. Ebay will increase the top bid by exactly 1 increment above the top bid and no more. The bid increments are on the bottom of the Ebay page near where you enter your bid.

Bob

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike OReilly
What is Auction Sniper? Some kind of an automated program that someone is using?
Yes there are snipe programs that bid automatically in the last ten seconds of the auction or less. They are ethical in my eyes because in the end it is the person who bids the greatest amount that wins. Being beaten by exactly $1 is not related to the snipe program. Ebay does proxy bidding for you. Ebay will increase the top bid by exactly 1 increment above the top bid and no more. The bid increments are on the bottom of the Ebay page near where you enter your bid.

tmc3c

I wonder if you can snipe a snipe with out a snipe service? Is it possible?I was talking to a friend at work and he pays monthly for this service.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Yes you can if you want to pay the money, but it doesn't always work because there are different people (or companies) that specialize in sniping ebay auctions.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Chakka

Ron's correct, working without a sniper program you can win but you would have to put in a super high bid in order to assure a win. If you are using a sniping program you enter your max bid up front and let the service do the rest. I am not a fan of them at all.

When I am selling items people hold back and the bidding doesn't shoot up anymore. In the past an item would rise in the first couple of days and hit the average high level for that item and then there might be some intense bidding at the close of the auction. Now items stay unbid or low bid until a minute or so to close and shoot up. It gives the average user no time to establish a bidding stratagy.

When Buying, Now if I NEED a Penton item real bad to complete a project I throw a very high bid with approx 10 seconds left to insure I win it, not always a sure fire method as I have lost a number of auctions recently.

It definitely seperates the men from the boys because tossing out a casual bit will pretty much insure you will loose. Just my thoughts.
Chakka

Big Mac

I have a perfect solution to make e-auctions even more fair and to eliminate snipe complaints. All Ebay would have to do is a little programming: Give sellers the option to add an auto-extension feature to their listings (for like $.35 more, in typical Ebay style) that would automatically add maybe 15 minutes to the expiration time of the auction anytime a new high bidder took the lead during the last hour or so of the auction. Plenty of time to scratch your head and re-bid with even the slowest connection. You'd still have to watch closely at the end if your a nervous bidder, but at least you couldn't argue that you got your chance. Otherwise, you just need to step up, be brave go high and go early, and stop the whining when you get beat.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Chakka

I like it Mac, That is a great idea. That works well for buyers and sellers.

Chakka

gthong

my thoughts are... if you really need the part.. contact the seller.. often they will do a "buy it now" for you... I've bought Many many things that way, including whole bikes (not pentons)

or.. at least make the sniper pay dearly... post the biggest  end of the world price you'd pay for the product... and cost the sniper some extra money if he really wants it... if no one bids.. you don't have to pay the top price anyway.. you'll get it for less

my two cents

imported_n/a

Mannnnn, this e-snipe stuff is killin' me...I'm gonna have to post more want ads on POG;)..not to mention the last 2 rims i recently bought off of evilbay are useless[xx(]

heeterville