Steel tank exhaust needed

Started by t20sl, April 21, 2006, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Need exhaust pipe for a 1970 or 1971 Six Days.  Any usuable condition, especially the rear half.  thanks, Ted

t20sl

For spring mount at front 1970-1971.  My front is good but rear straight section where clamp is was replaced and badly distorted.  Rear section, cap and internals missing are also gone.

rob w

Hi Ted,

Today I picked up a sheet of 20 ga. steel (same thickness most all pipes are made from) to play with, and had no problems forming a cone similar to the first, front part of the shroud. It was apx. 10" long, 3 1/2" dia. on one end, and 3" dia. on the other. I formed it around a pipe of a similar size I had clamped into a bench vise, and used my hands with heavy gloves. Twisted it until I had the dia.'s on each end I was shooting for. Drew a line along one egde. Cut to the line (I'll need to buy a hand-held pnematic power shear), then welded together (tig, with silicon bronze rod). Now comes the harder task of forming a cone with a more severe taper.
See I knew it could'nt be that hard. ::))

Bob W

sixdazed

Looks like i'm in the same boat with Ted!My 71 pipe has been hacked off at the rear shock area,with just a nub of a stinger sticking out.So if anyone happens to run across a rear section or complete pipe please let me know.Or if you want to create another tailsection Rob???Just kidding-that sounds like a heap of work but if you go into production???!!!.....BTW-excellent headgear in the POG newsletter(THE ultimate Penton hat}i couldn't stop laughing when i saw that-think i'll have it enlarged(with your permission,don't wan't to infringe on the copywright) and hang it in the garage.Didn't the Wolfman have a stash of barrels full of pipes-where did he go???See Ya, Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

rob w

Ric,
Sorry, I have'nt been paying attention here lately....that's rare.
No, I'd be happy to help you with your pipe. It might be a few weeks or so before I get to it, but it should'nt be a problem. Talk to you on the outside.
Bob

rob w

On the "Pentonhead" thing, I'm glad you laughed, it was all about having fun. You should have seen the look on Al Buehners face at Mid-Ohio, when he saw me wearing it for the first time. (and only time)
 It was kind of a cross between, the RCA dog looking at the old phonograph - and a deer in the head lights, X 10.
He's in charge of the newsletter, so there you go.
Go ahead, I own the copyrights, I'll accept $1 per square inch.  :D

Bob

sixdazed

Excellent Bob-Thanks,i'm trying to find a donor rear section to work with as there is nada on mine.See Ya, Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...