76/77 Mc-5 Hi-Point alum side panels avib

Started by Mike Lenz, May 11, 2006, 07:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Lenz

I had a set made up from the orig set I have that got sandblasted by mistake.  Figured I can use them for copies (much easier than trying to buff out orig set again- body shop said have to do by hand!!).  The remakes came out pretty much perfect....but  do you want to pay for perfection???  They cost me $205.00!!  If any of you other crazies want a pair let me know.  Or if you think you know of someone that could do just as good of job cheaper, let me know and I will send you the orig set to copy from. Man, the bike drools of coolness with those babies on! Also should work on 77 GS-6 I think. I have a frame I could check on.

Dennis Jones

Mike those sound neat. Whats the history on the aluminum side panels and can you email a picture of them on your bike? I used to work in aluminum fabrication and may have a contact or two left.I saw a set on ebay awhile back and thought they would look cool.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike Lenz

I will get picts if I get the time.  Pretty busy right now.

william b. edmonston

I would like to see some pics. and if possible maybe purchase a set of panels. Thanks Brad.

tomale

I have a set on my 76' MC 5 they are very cool. They were given to me by a friend way back when these bikes were actually used by local experts who were sponsored by a Local shop. These came from Grand Prix cycles in Santa Clara California, it was the shop that actually ended up ordering my bike. when I got them the expert that had used them had moved to a different brand. They must have put the orginal bike back in stock form and sold it off and because I knew some of the mechanics I ended up with the side covers. Up until a year ago I had never seen anything like it. but I ended up with a right side alumimum cover that fits a high breather.. I think. I had always wondered if I would ever see any more.. there had to be some.. and I always wondered if they had been made locally by a body shop or had someone produced them to be sold.... I have no idea. I had no idea they could be so expensive. The down side now is that until a couple of years ago I had the stock set and they were almost like new, I have no idea what ever happend to them as well.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W