Front Fender Bracket?

Started by imported_n/a, May 12, 2006, 07:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, recently acquired a front fender bracket for my 74 Six Day. From what I've gathered it's designed to lower the fender a little so it'll clear the exhaust better. Question is, the built-in cable guide on the left hand side doesn't seem to clear the allen pinch bolt on the triple clamp so it looks like there's not quite enough room for the brake cable to thread through it cleanly. It'll work fine if I install it upside down but that defeats the purpose of lowering the fender. Was this an OEM part or a substitute for the cable guide that's molded in to the front fork boot? I've replaced the fork boots with aftermarket and the left one doesn't have the guide anymore. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris H.

rob w

Chris,

If you have the part, I think you have, it's not intended to lower the fender, it's a spacer because the mounting surface on the bottom of the triple clamp is recessed.
The guide is for the speedometer cable on the RH side, it's also too far back to be in the area of the front brake cable.
If I'm thinking about a different part....nevermind.

To position your fender away from the exhaust pipe, use thicker washers, or more washers on the two rear screws. (these are the rubber washers between the top of the fender, and the bottom of that spacer plate) You can play with the thickness of all four, or the tightness of the screws to get it exactly where you want it.

Bob  

imported_n/a

Bob, thanks for clearing it up! I actually have an OEM one and a repop from Al B. that is advertised on his website as being "to hold front brake cable". But you're right, when placed on the left side it is too far back. I do have a speedo so that'll work great!

Thanks again, Chris